1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange XL-1 Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SNIKT, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNIKT

SNIKT TS Member

Anyone shooting the green XL-1 wads? They load fantastic and I was real happy with the price, but I recovered a bunch from the field that had split shot cups. I sent pictures to DR and they were dumbfounded. I hope you can see these photos; first time with a thread. The load was 1oz #7, AA hull, Win 209, 17gr. e3. Pleasant to shoot, but a little worried about what's happening to the pattern.

2. SNIKT

SNIKT TS Member

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I would not be concerned with the split, unless you plan on using them again. In the past few years I must have loaded 15,000 of them, and satisfied with the results.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Seems odd that the split is in the same psoition in each one. Is the bore of your gun oversized? How cold was it when you shot these, and were the shells outside or in the car overnight?

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also had issues with DR wads went back to Rem. TGT 12s & everything returned to normal, no problems since. I have loaded Rem. STS - GC & AA with the TGT with 0 problems, actually have better luck with TGT in AA hulls than anything else i have tried in them,no off sounding or soft loads (yet). living in Ga. we don't have very cold temps. to worry about so i don't think temps were a factor for me & i did use both in winter & summer..Ross

6. RobPete

RobPete Member

I'm with Toolmaker.....as long as the birds spit....who cares?! I've been using these for about a year now(12-15K), and they smoke more than they don't. Great wad.

RobPete

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I actually prefer these to the TGT's for all of my short range stuff. I've been loading them in new style AA's and Remington's with zero issues.

I've never recovered any, didn't see the need.

SNIKT,

Just out of curiosity, how much wad pressure are you using when you reload these?

ss

8. SNIKT

SNIKT TS Member

It shows about 35-40 lbs. on my MEC single stage. I've loaded most of them on a Dillon, and they turn out the same. It looks to me like the posts on the wad aren't collapsing. I didn't see any big issues with missing birds; I just thought you guys would be interested. The XL-1 1/8 didn't do this from the ones I could recover. The guys a DR are great. They were real attentive and are shipping me out some new wads. I asked for Versalite replacements.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Didn't the same thing happen to Duster wads a few years ago. Made for some interesting sounding shells!!

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The crack in the shot cup probably won't cause a significant drop in pressure oe velocity. If the over powder cup fractured like the Duster wads did, it would be a different thing. You'd notice an off sounding load.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

It looks to me like each of those wads show signs that there was blow through (look at the nice dark V above each split) which means that the over powder cup had failed to seal as well so I would bet performance ,both pattern and velocity, was substandard. But who can tell by how much. Out of round wads or bore, oversize bore, sloppy forcing cone work, defective wads. Could be any or all or none of the above.

--- Chip King ---

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Nasty looking wads. Just looking at the pictures I would guess manufacturing defect, since the two on the right look the same. I am using the purple XL-1's, they don't do that.

13. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I've been shooting these wads for over 2 years know. I've never had this problem before. I personally do not put that much pressure on my wads when reloading. I use a mec 9000G. Your load data sounds good. You might try using less pressure. With today's powders you don't need as much. When my gage barely moves it works for me. I like these wads so much I know sell them here in the Northern Ky. area. Felty Enterprises 859-322-3109

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange xl-1 shotgun wad reloading problems

load data pc-12 purple e3 aa