1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange XL-1 Recipe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trifecta, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trifecta

Trifecta TS Member

Gentlemen,
    I've been using the neon green, 4 petal 1 oz. wad from Downrange for about 3 months now. I am very, no, make that extremely satisfied with the apparent results, using CCI primer, 18.2 grns of Clays, 1 oz of #8 shot in an STS hull. Due to no chrony, I can't say what the FPS equates to, so I would be guessing at 1175. I'd sure like to know, as they seem to offer somewhat softer recoil and they break targets like wow! And they load slicker than owl snot.

Two questions, has anyone actually chrono'ed a similar load using comparable components? I looked for "reload data" from several souces on these wads to little avail. Don't think I overlooked anything but who knows.

Second question, the Downrange 1 oz wad with 8 petals, anyone experience a noticeable difference and if so, what were biggest variables?

Thanks for your experience and honest opinion. Regards, Ken Flanagan

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The latest Hodgdon book shows: STS, 1 oz shot, CCI 209, WAA 12SL wad (the downrange XL1 is alleged to be "interchangeable" with the Winchester wad), with 17.5 gr. of Clays should produce 1235 fps with 11,200 PSI and they recommend that as a MAX. Changing to the CCI 209SC primer, it suggests maxing out is 17.4 Gr. of clays at 1235 fps and 11,300 PSI. Were it me cooking up this recipe, I'd not exceed 17.4 or 17.5 gr. of clays fearing excessive pressure and it certainly seems you are well over the 1175 fps you believe you're doing. Again, if it were me, I'd start no higher than 17 gr. of Clays and probably send it off to a lab for testing before moving on. That's my take as long as I haven't mis-read your data or the Hodgdon book...breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

here is DownRanges's data in a pdf booklet. 10tenner http://members.cox.net/omahasportingsupply/drmfg_booklet.pdf

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I use 18.2 gr. of Claydot for my 1 1/8oz. 8 1/2's load using Downrange WJ12-RPL (8 petal) and Fiocchi 616 primers in Gun Club hulls. I'm getting around 1180fps from these loads. Cono'd through my 34" 90T with IM choke.
    It sounds like 18.2 gr. maybe a little hot for a 1oz load.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Just picked up some samples of that wad at the Nebraska state shoot. Have loaded them with 18gr of Red Dot in STS and Nitro's and Rem. primers #8 Rem. shot. Haven't shot them yet. We'll see. Noticed that the crimp is a little deeper with this wad than the TGT 12s that I have been using.Steve

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Trifecta

That load sounds rather hot to me. Hodgdon lists 17.5 grains of Clays with the CCI 209 primer and WAA12SL wad at 11,200 PSI using 1oz of shot. Even the CCI 209SC primer would be too hot. If your CCI primer is the "M" primer, that could be even worse, but it's not listed. The velocity is listed at 1235 fps. Double Check your data! It looks OK with the Rem, Win, or Fiocchi primer. I'd check with Kevin at Downrange or someone at Hodgdon before shooting any more of those.

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

The green 4 petal wad, in 1 oz. loads, is number one in sales. After working the NE State shoot, I heard many arguements among friends over the 4 vs 8 petal wads. The green 4 petals are a little thicker petals and slightly slicker. I always use the Hodgdon's book or the PDF from Downrange for my recipes. We sure saw a bunch of cases of these green wads finding new homes at the NE state shoot. And how far back were they using these green wads from........???? If you guessed the next county, you are correct. Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content

down range wads recipes
downrange wad recipes