1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Looking for help on downrange wads for a 1 oz load in an estate hull. Will reload 1 time and throw away?

What about downrange in AA hull 1 oz load?
    thanks

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Most of your straight walled hulls will require the Federal style wad.

3. perazzidb81

perazzidb81 Member

I have had good luck with the DRXXL orange wad.

Tom

4. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I was also looking at the XXL orange wad, that was a 1 oz wad also?

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

1oz downrange in AA - thats easy. the DRA12 wads are the best fitting of all. However, if you use a dense powder like Titewad, you may be able to get away with using many other 1oz wads. The whole problem with AA is they have just a tad less volume in them then the Remington hulls. Makes it hard to get the right stack height needed for a good crimp.

1oz downrange in Estate - not so easy. I had poor luck with the DR clone of the 12SO. They dont seem to be sized properly for the hull ID. Fed 12S0 and the CB clone are the best. I have tried the neon-green DR XL-1 wad in the estate hull. It loaded and crimped just fine. Chrono testing showed very consistent results also. However, the average velocity was about 40 fps less than similar hulls loaded with the 12SO wad (1180 vs 1220 if I remember correctly). This would indicate to me there might be some pressure leak around the powder skirt ... thus the lower average velocity.

6. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

The CB6100 12 is for the straight walled Federal hulls and others with the straight wall. The loading data provided with the hulls indicates that 20 grains of Red Dot will produce 1290fps. My trials with that wad and once fired Top Gun hulls will only produce 1200fps with 22.1 grains of Red Dot. The stack is nice as the crimp is comparable to factory but velocities are low... Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.