1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I decided to switch from Claybusters to Downrange wads because of the good comments from members of this site regarding their tendency to leave less plastic residue in the barrel. I was interested in the DRRF8 (figure 8 clone) but find it impossible to purchase locally. A lot of internet component suppliers either have none in stock or don't even offer the fig. 8. I can get the Remington Fig 8 but have no experience with them and wonder if they are comparable as far far as less plastic residue than the Claybusters. Downrange doesn't appear to have a very extensive distributor network. Emails to them for samples went unanswered. I was really hoping to settle on a wad that I could get locally but it seems that you can get any wad as long as it's Claybusters.
    What is it with the Downrange Fig 8? Am I beating a dead horse?
    Don

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

contact downrange...

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

As far as internet suppliers go.....Gamaliel and Recobs have them. I get my DR wads from Gamaliel.

4. revbook

revbook Member

Contact Downrange.....I did, they have one distributor in the entire state of Pennsylvania! The distributor has no retailers in the Pittsburgh area. I guess if you don't attend the big shoots where you can do some shopping you are out of luck.

5. psfive

psfive Member

They really are a quality product. The phone number(402) 463-3415 ask for Kevin. He will return a call if he is not there. They are good people and products. Paul in Nebraska.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Did not have good experience with DR, went back to OEM or CBs. Can't say that I have had the plastic build-up problems reported by others with any brand of wads. Just my experience. Ross Puls

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Call Spolar as their wads leave even less plastic and pattern extremely well.

Just my opinion.

Dave

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

CAC says they will ship wads.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don, I gotta say that when I'm in a pinch for DR wads, I go to Clay Busters and really have no squawk. Prefer the DRs but I have zero problems with the CBs dating back to the 70s. Never have seen plastic build ups.....breakemall

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Doesn't DR make Spolar?????? Ross Puls

11. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Yes, DR makes Spolars.

12. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Grafs has them too.

13. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I like the crimps I get in STS hulls better with the OEM Fig 8 wads vs the Downrange F8 wad. Its just a minor difference though .. and there is a large cost difference.

14. maka

maka Member

Was at Recobs Target Shop today purchased DRG Fig. 8's. $17.49/1000. They will ship to your door. Lowest shipping per/area. Call 1-800-359-4571. Good Luck.

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

I'm with Ross, I just don't see the platic build up from Claybusters....I just cleaned my TM1 barrel after month's of shooting, three or four passes with a brush dipped in Hoppe's and the barrel was clean. Same thing in my M12's, which I rarely clean. Same with Browning XT, except I clean it more often. I just don't see this plastic build up with Claybusters. This is one of those "Internet, Urban Rumours".

Wayne

16. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

DR does make the Spolar wad, but with a better grade of plastic, leaving less plastic in the barrel.

Dave

17. plux001

plux001 Member

What Dave said....since I switched to the DR Spolar, I won't use anything else. Load up some and head to the pattern board. You'll be convinced.

Paul

18. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I can tell you firsthand that the plastic buildup is not rumor. I have had to soak my chokes in acetone to clean them. Since I've switched to WJ and DR, no need for acetone.

Chip

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I want to believe chokes and barrels in my 870's are of a different material there for the choke might hold more plastic than the barrel and I hear the chokes are a tighter inner diameter than that of the barrel. I have never had plastic in my barrel from CB's, Duster's, or DR's. Only in my choke.

I don't like the way the DR fed. clone fits in the straight walled Fed hulls. I refuse to even load and try those.

BUT I will throw any other DR wad in my Gun Clubs and do not have anything to talk down on the other wads they make... only the fed clone wad...

Great customer service

Then again all the other wad manufactures mentioned above also have great customer service...

20. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I shoot a lot of Green Dot and have for years I use it a lot out of Rem. STS cases with the Downrange 12S3 wad and a Win primer.

I use 19.3 grains in my 16 yard and 2 nd shot of doubles loads. For handicap I use 20.5 grains.

Kevin Lewis Plt. Mgr. of Downrange thought I was off base a bit using this brew and said he would test them for me, We are good friends and I like his product, downrange tested them for speed and pressure and I have all those results on pdf files. They were all surprised that both loads were fine pressure wise and shot very consistant speeds.

On the 20.5 grn. load low 1221 fps, high 1245 fps, Av pressure 10,500 (6 more same brew) low 1229 fps, hi 1245 fps and Av presuure 10,318. A 24 foot variation in speed and 16 fps on the last batch. I find that load fairly soft to shoot and always feels very consistant with good breaks.

The 19.3 grn. load was: Low 1192 fps. Hi 1223 fps. Av pressure 10,148. A 31 foot dev. I have shot this brew a lot at 19 grns. too, it is probably better 16 yard load at 19 grns.

I have hit great scores with these loads and you never get a cocked wad as the 12S3 has so many rings in the base it always goes in the shell straight. I never buy any other wads now as I really like the results with these.

I shoot a lot of Federal cases too with the same 12S3 wads and Win/primers but I up the powder charge to 21 grains. It works great too. I don't have the crono info on it but it breaks 25's from 27 yards regularly and is usually my favorite handicap load.

I have all the info on pdf. files that I can e-mail if anyone wants to see them.

Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington fig 8 wads less plastic residue