1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DownRange Wads shipped only $10 from Gamaliel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Check out Gamaliel's ad on P. 35 of the newest issue of Shotgun Sports. I had some free samples of these wads earlier and found them to really be slick and easy to load with great patterning results....lower pressures and higher velocities. The editors of Shotgun Sports are finding out this same thing from their review of the wads. $10 shipping is a bargain if you can't find the wads in your neck of the woods.

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Can you describe these "great patterning results"? Also, can you say what you compared the "lower pressures" and "higher velocities to". How did you measure your pressures? I stand ready to learn from your experience. Thanks.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: I am thinking about trying the Downrange wads. However, Recob's Target shop sells 2 different types of 1 oz. wads. One is the "Jammer XL-1" which sell for $67 per 5000. The other is the PC-12 and they sell for $76 per 5000. Do you know the difference in these 2 wads, aside from the price? Thanks. Ed

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Hey Anonymous,
    You ask good questions. Don't take my word for it. Loads using Red Dot, Green Dot and Clays have been used along with the DR wads which included the XL-1 Jammers, PCs, and the Versalites which I love for handicap targets. The loads were chronographed through a test gun and tons of paper were used in pattern comparisons. I'm sick of counting holes in paper. STS hulls as well as some Federal papers were used in the testing. The results were compared to data in the Lyman reloading manual. You'll find, if you run the tests yourself, that you'll get the same results I found through testing. After carrying out these tests, I feel very confident in saying that these wads are premium wads that can be purchased for a reasonable price. Hopefully my experience will be of assistance to you.

5. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here are some pics to help define the catalog numbers. The top wad in red is a PC Red = Pattern Control Red
    The bottom wad is a 'Jammer' XL-1

The PC wad is 1 1/8 oz
    The 'Jammer" is mostly 1 oz

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Are these for straigh wall cases or tapered hulls. Makes a difference on powder migration.

7. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

they can be used on either one

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use the PC orange 410 wad and like it better than any other 410 wad. Since Downrange took it over, it's a darker color orange and seems to have a little rougher molding edges on the petals but still works good.

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

If anyone is looking for the 7/8ths ounce, in Mi or Ohio, Ohio Target had a couple of bags left. I bought some at Mason yesterday to try out.-Jerald

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Jerald, I just loaded a few boxes of 7/8 wads myself. This time I switched the bottle to International Clays. ZOOM Zoom ZOOM. I just priced out freight for a bag of wads for a customer and it was 7.78 (USPS was cheapest) for shipping a single bag of wads. The difference between residence and business delivery is over $2.00 more. Delivery for $10.00 is good.

11. JLW

JLW TS Member

Omaha-I tried the 7/8ths last night and they did their job from the 16. I'll load up and shoot the remaining of 1K I bought.

BTW-I loaded up Int'l but was later told it was not a good powder for these light loads. What's your opinion on performance?-Jerald

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The best thing to do with the 8-petal wads is get a pillow case and put them in the dryer for about 5 minutes. They open up like little flowers and are much easier to reload. In fact I do that to all my wads no matter what I am using.

GS

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I just ordered a case of 5000 7/8 oz DRXXL78 Downrange wads from Graf & Sons, plus some bushings about two days ago. The wads were $88.99 plus no tax because I'm out of state, and all they charged was a "handling & insurance" fee of $3.95. They're sending them UPS or FedEx ground but that's OK, I'm not in a hurry. That's much less than it would have cost me in fuel to drive to the nearest components retailer in my area. I figured that if I had them shipped via USPS parcel post, it would have been exactly $23.63 including the oversized parcel rate.

Got a phone call from them this morning apologizing that the 7/8 oz bushing I ordered wasn't in stock and would I like to backorder it. I thought that was nice of them to call rather than email me.

Jennifer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.