1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wads, I use...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBob, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBob

BBob TS Member

I have been using DR wads since I started reloading. For 1 1/8 oz loads I use the DR Windjammer Rpl eight petal, and DR four petal gold Versalites for distance events. I use the DRA 12 1 oz four petal red wads for most practice shooting.

Lots of you seem to be hooked on the green 1 oz DR wads. Please tell me why I might want to try the green rather than the reds I use and seem great to me.

Thank you, Bill

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Bill, I shoot nothing but 1oz shells and i love the lime green DR XL1 wads. There seems to be a definate reduction of recoil with this wad over other wads such as WAA12SL and lightening wads. And in my area the DR wads are cheaper than other wads. just my opinion. BYG

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The red wads (DRA-12) are a little shorter than the green XL-1. I use the green XL-1 in Remington hulls with Claydot powder and the red DRA-12 in the AA HS hulls with the same powder because the AA hulls have slightly less internal capacity than the Remingtons. The difference in wads tailors the component stack to the hull on my loader.

MK

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

Bill,

If you are reloading the one ounce loads into a AAHS hull then the red you are using is the best one to use.

If you are reloading the one ounce loads into Rem STS or old school AA compression formed hulls then the "screaming" green xl-1 seems to fit those hulls better for most folks.

They both work well as far as pattern and breaking clays.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Have to concur with the above (AA Hull/DRA-12 and Rem./DRXL-1) but also try the DRXL-1 in 1 1/8 oz. in a Fed Hull - good distance combo comparable to Versalite. Really a great performing load with GD @ 1200fps.

6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Bill,
    I used to use Remington wads and tried Claybusters, then I tried Downrange XL-1 neons and didn't go back. They pattern great in my SKB with a one ounce load, in fact a lot better on paper then the other wads. I use the neon green with Remington hulls and the red with AA hulls. They pattern the same. My friend has even started reloading and changed from shooting factory Remington Nitros to the same recipe I use because it holds a better pattern in his Berretta Silver Pidgeon. They are also a lot cheaper $77 for 5000 compared to $104 for the Remington or Winchesters, that is a free bag of shot!

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have to agree with what was said above. The green XL-1 wad doesn't work with AA hulls very well. It works OK with the Nitro and STS hulls.

I've loaded 5K of the green XL-1s, but I've switched to the red DRA-12s and get much better crimps. I'm convinced that it is due to the red wads being a tad bit shorter.

8. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I get great crimps with the XL-1 wads in both HS & AA hulls. They're not the cheapest but seem the most dimensionally consistent of any I've measured. I think getting a good crimp is more loader adjustment than anything else. I like that the plastic residue in the choke tube is non-existent. It could also be because of the FP-10 oil I clean with. I started using it because Kimber recommends it in all their pistols. Any weapon I use FP-10 on tends to stay cleaner while shooting and is easier to clean after.

9. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My experiences are similar.

Neon Green XL-1 in STS and Red DRA1 in new AA's. I do not like the DRA1 in STS or old style AAs as they are too short with the powders I have used and get dished crimps even with no wad pressure.

SW

11. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Do they make a wad that is the same as the CB1138?Thx

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bill Roberts,

Give Kevin Lewis at Downrange a call. He is great about answering his phone, or getting back to you if he was busy.

He will be able to answer your question.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Why would you use an xl-1 wad instead of the DRTGT-12. How does the xl-1 pattern or perform any differently from the original Remington wad which is used in their 1 oz STS & 11/8 oz Nitro's.

Looking for a definitive answer, based upon performance results.

Thanx--Phil Berkowitz

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Phil,

For me, the XL-1 fits better for my 1 ounce loads using Clays in a Remington hull.

The DRRT-12 fits perfectly for my 1-1/8 ounce loads with Titegroup in a Remington hull.

Nothing wrong with either wad. I can't imaging there can be much difference in patterning between one and the other.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bill - I believe the DRA12 is the same as the 1138. It says on thier web site that it is a winchester 114 clone and so is the 1138

16. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I wonder if Downrange would make a federal 12C1 clone ?

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hatshooter,

Give Kevin Lewis at Downrange a call. He is great about answering his phone, or getting back to you if he was busy.

He will be able to answer your question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

useing downrange wads

what reloading wads can j use for 1oz loads