1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange Wads & Doves!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

As many of you know, I am a Downrange dealer. I have written several posts on here about loads and Downrange wads. Well today, I am going to try some of these loads on doves. I have three loads I am going to try. All of these loads are using a Chedditte Primer and #8 shot. First load is 18.0 grains of Promo with Jammer XL-1 (purple 1 ounce) wad. Should be around 1200fps. Second load is Federal Top Gun hull, 20.5 grains of Green Dot powder, and DRF3 wad (12S3 replacement) with 1 1/8 ounces of shot. This load should be 1200-1220 fps. Last but not least is a Remington STS hull, 24.5 grains of Herco Powder with the Downrange yellow 1 1/4 ounce wad (WAA12F4 replacement). Yes, I know 1 1/4 is a little stout for doves, but I had these wads and wanted to use them. If the doves are flying, I will post results later!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Flincher, Yes I forgot about lead and follow through. My toughest part about dove hunting is head on stock. I am tall with a neck like a giraffe. My Perazzi trap gun fits, my 870 pump gun doesn't. I have gotten some moleskin added for comb height, but it still isn't enough.

Matt

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, opening day of dove season is in the books. It really did stink. I ended up killing two doves. I only fired 4 shells. There wasn't any doves out there! I killed 1 dove with the 1 ounce load. It was close range, and clean kill. Bird was easy to dress out. Second shot was the 1 1/4 load @ close range. Not much left of dove. What little action there was, the Downrange wads worked well!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

4. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I killed a full limit yesterday. Herd's my load data.
    Remington Gun Club hulls,
    Remington 209p primers.
    19.5 grains of Clays powder.
    DownRange XL-1 Green wads.
    1 oz. of Homemade #8 shot.
    I also shot this load in STS hulls and bumb the powder up to 19.9 grains for my 1300 fps Sporting Clays load.
    Mark Mauch

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mark,

That sounds like a nice load!

Matt

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Matt:

At the Grand I picked up a bag of orange (one ounce) XXL wads to experiment with Rio hulls. I need to do some loader adjusting because I've had an inordinant number of unacceptable crimps - almost exactly 22% - with the XXL and 12SO clone.

However... I used reloads with pretty good crimps for three each, 100 target singles events this weekend. I can say with certainty that the following published 1200 fps recipe is a wicked bad load on 16 yard targets.

If I can work out the crimp issue, this may very well become my standard singles load. If not, it will be another experiment that didn't pan out.

Rio hull

orange XXL or 12SO wad

Cheddite primer

19.0 grs Red Dot

1 oz. hard 8's

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mark,

How did you squeeze that much Clays into the hull?!?!

I have enough trouble getting it all to fit with just 17.4 grains of Clays.

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

18g Promo, XXL wad, Fiocchi primer, Diana case, 1 oz lead (7 1/2 or 8) nice soft load......................Roger

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

The XXL wad works great in the import hulls for 1 ounce. I really like how the 12S3 performs in the Top Gun hull with 1 1/8 ounce of shot. Good crimps and good reloads. Also, soft shooting too!

Matt

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Matt,

Can I go with you? I didn't get an invitation this year and I'm sitting here the last two days on Ts.com with nothing better to do than mope in my stew! :0(

See ya at the MO Fall Hdcp, and have that case of Downrange wads ready for me,

milt :)

11. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

timb99 no problem fitting powder, I load on a Dillion.Mark

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Milt,

I will save a case for you. If the hunting stays as bad, I will be on TS.com even more! LOL! No one in this are has started shelling corn yet, but when they do..... kill time!!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.