1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DownRange Wads are the heat!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warpspeed, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have been using CB wads for reloading 12 ga AAs and at times not overly happy but have written it off to the shells. I got a case of the white DRA12 wads and what a difference it makes. The wads feed in 100% easier.

I did notice where the wad is a little shorter than the CB and the press needed to be adjusted but now the things my PW is kicking out are beautys.

2. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

hard to beat DR products.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Almost half my wad inventory is Downrange. It would be more if someone local carried them. I won't pay $20+ shipping for a case, since for that extra $20, I can almost buy the OEM product locally.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Someone tell me about the DR Purple 1 oz. Windjammer type wad. How do they load in STS and AA shells? 18.2 Red Dot with 1 oz. of #8's. I have been loading Spolar Gold 1 oz. Will they load the same? Fred

5. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

By the time you add shipping charges, I can have Winchester pinks for about $12.00 more. I'll pay the extra $12.00. Neil Swenson

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Well for me, a case delivered was $ 100. I can buy the CBs local for $ 88 inc tax.

You are right Neil, I'll pay the extra $ 12.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

fssberson

Last time I tried them was the last time I would try them. The eight petals were a pain in the butt. Kept getting petals stuck in the shot drop tube. They worked fine when fired, but there was NO advantage over any other style wad in my limited testing of them. Other than that, I liked the color. :) I would prefer a four petal type of wad.

8. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I always try to buy several cases at the Grand every year from the mfg. trailer., around $72. for the average wad.

9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Too bad the DownRange folks don't offer 100 free wads for TS.com shooters to try?!? (50 1oz and 50 1-1/8) I'd pay shipping:^)

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shipping is the killer in this area, too (south-central Pennsylvania). As I mentioned on another recent thread, a local gun shop that stocks a good inventory of wads tried to get some for two of us but didn't because the shipping would have made them the most expensive wad he would have in stock.

I'd still like to try a case of their Remington TGT-12 replacement wad, as I'm going to be buying another case in a month or so.

Ed

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ed You should be pretty close to CAC Associates. I know they have/had the DRRT12 at a very good price. Check their website. Personally I really like the DRRT12 and the DRRF8 wads. They are pretty much all I shoot in STS /Nitro hulls these days. I hear they will be offering a 12S0 clone soon which I will try for 7/8oz in the Rem cases. Downrange will send free samples (usually 25) if you contact them.
    Another thought, Bob Igou who is the vendor trailer on the VTA home field at Winchester VA also sells them. Not sure how far you are away but you may be able to contact Bob to get a case or come down and shoot and take a case home.

--- Chip King ---

12. TjayE

TjayE Member

trapshooterjoe7, which wad can you buy for $65.00 a case? Tom

13. AveragEd

Chip, I think CAC was the wholesaler from whom our local shop was trying to obtain them. I'll look into buying them direct but I'd probably burn more in fuel driving out to Ebensburg than I'd save over just buying the TGT-12s. It's probably three+ hours each way. And if shipping on a bulk purchase was excessive, I can't imagine what it would be for one case - but I'll look into it.

Winchester is a good idea, too. The other shooter who wanted some goes there for every shoot they hold and if my eye behaves itself this spring, I might go, too. Either way, we could get some there.

Ed

14. 7 straight

7 straight Member

where are they in central new York ?

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

C A C has got the best prices around on everything.....just bought a sh*t load of stuff from them........they have a great crew working for them,very helpful

16. AveragEd

CAC Associates is in western Pennsylvania.

I checked their prices on their website - TGT-12S replacements are $76.00 a case vs. $85.00 for Remingtons, which is about what I pay for them locally. I asked for a price per case on the DRs delivered and will decide once I see that figure.

Ed

17. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

My .02 worth As a family we use mostly DR wads for all our 12 ga purposes (trap, dove & sporting clays) We have tried many Win and Rem wads. We have played and patterened our guns with powder/wads/hull combos to see what performed the best. So far the DR wads have produced the best for us. We all shoot differnt guns benelli/remington/win single shot. We find that the DR XL-1 neon green for 1 oz is great (we mostly use STS hulls & few grey AA). My son shoots 7/8 oz and uses the DRXL pink. For our play & dove loads 1 oz we use federal hulls (paper base wad)that have been once fired and use them just once more, and the wad we use is DR LS orange. These seem to perform the best for us. Though my middle son shoots a 20 ga and uses the orange duster wads and get great performance. We pick up our wads at the state trap shoots. they sell them at a great price. We live in the boonies so we have to drive atleast 3 hrs to buy supplies (not even a decent selection either). Sometimes we just place a once a year order and still with hazmat & shipping we couldn't drive to get our stuff cheaper. We love recobstargetshop.com, they are helpful, kind and bend over backwards to help you. Not to mention they are the cheapest i have found (please let me know if you have found cheaper). If anyone wants to play with loads, i would be will to ship you out a few wads to try. not fun buying a bag, then finding out you hate them.

18. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Ed you are probably only about an hour away from them. And Mr. Ezolt the windjammer clone wad is the wad that CAC offers for 65 a case. We just bought 2 cases. Love the wad. Loads well and shoots even better. I load them in an STS case with about 20.5 grains of green dot.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

19. AveragEd

Osker, my map shows Ebensburg to be about the same driving distance as Joel Etchen's shop in Ligonier and I usually allow three hours for that trip.

Something you might want to do is chronograph your loads with Windjammer-style wads. I used to use Windjammers in the three recipes I load and a few years ago, loaded five of each with that wad and a Remington TGT-12 - on average, the Windjammers were about 35fps slower in all three instances. I assume the Remington wads seal better in my STS hulls and I switched back to them after doing that test.

Ed

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Fred, I have been using the purple DR wad for over a year. They work fine for me. I have never used the Spolar wad but I don't think you will have any trouble switching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.