1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wad xl-1 or xl1 jammer ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use the lime green xl-1 wad with 16.5 gr.promo and an ounce of shot in a gun club hull,works great but the crimps are a little concave and I am about due for a new box of wads I wondered if anyone used the xl-1 jammer wad with approx.the same load and how the crimps were with them they look slightly taller to the shot cup.Jerry

2. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Jerry,
    The crimps on my reloads look just fine. I'm using the xl-1 jammer (purple) with either clays or 700x, 1oz 8.5, and STS hulls.

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

1oz of 7 1/2s, 18.0grains Promo, XL-1, Rem hulls....crimps are fine.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I use 17.5 grains Promo, XL-1 in Remington hulls.

Kevin from Downrange had me use a little less wad pressure and set my crimp starter a tad deeper and I get perfect crimps now.

SW

5. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

these wads are exactly identical with the exception of the Jammer having 8 petals instead of 4. Ive shot both of these wads and cant tell the tiniest bit of difference between them. If you look at the reloading data (especially in the new alliant powder books) you will see that they are listed as the same wad. Therefor what ever problem you are having with one, you will suely have the same problem with the other. BYG

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get a T handle allen wrnch and a 7/16 by 1/2 open end wrench and put them by your loader. Don't be afraid to adjust it. Soon you will be an expert. LOts of posts on here how to.

(Read the book)

HM

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't seat the wads so deep; just get the ends of the petals down to where the crimp shoulder forms and see if that helps. Kevin recommends the ends of the petals be 3/8" down from the mouth of the hull.

I use the same wads with 1 oz in GC hulls and the crimps are perfect.

MK

8. jdsfarms

I'll try taking a little wad pressure off,I really don't want to change the adjustment on my machine as I load 7/8 for my wife and 1 1/16 for sporting clays and those load crimp perfectly makes more sense to find a wad that works rather than do a bunch of adjustment every time you change loads.Jerry

9. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"...I really don't want to change the adjustment on my machine..."</i></blockquote>

Of course that's your choice but I think you're gonna have a lot more luck adjusting the press than you will finding a wad that does what you need it to do.

Slightly dished crimps don't have any significant effect on ballistics as long as the shot doesn't fall out; it's the depth of the crimp shoulders that matters. The rest just keep the insides inside. Measure the present wad ram setting so you can return to it if you need to.

MK

10. jdsfarms

As I said in the first post the load works fine I have never had any problems,just thought a little taller wad would make them prettier. ;o) Jerry

11. Unknown1

If it really bugs you, put a 1/8 tsp of Post Grape NutsĀ® in the bottom of the wad before the shot goes it. They look like shot, they're hard like shot and they might even break targets like shot and they WILL take up space!

One of the guys I shoot with uses a leather punch to punch 5/8" discs out of thin corrugated cardboard (like product packaging) and he drops one (or two) into the bottom of each wad as he puts in his P-W loader. Fills the wad and causes no ballistic problems. We sometimes get together and punch discs over beer and burgers.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange xl-1 shotgun wad reloading problems

jammer xl 1 shotgun wads

jammer xl 1 wads