1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange Wad Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kriegfan, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

It's the time of year when I do some experimentation with different published loading recipes/components. Am wondering which Downrange wad is best or recommended for loading the Federal Top Gun and Gold Medal cases with 1 1/8oz of shot. I've heard some shooters promote the use the XL1 even though loading 1 1/8oz of shot. Also wondering about the jammer providing a good gas seal when used with a straight hull design. I never load without first considering published powder/wad/case specific recipes; does Downrange supply tested recipes for their wads?

Also wondering if there is a recommended wad for the HS AA hull that will provide a good seal with the base and will closely simulate the OEM WAA12 wad in terms of crimp start and final crimp loader settings.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

KF

2. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

12S3 wad is what you need for straight wall hulls, Top, Estate, Gold Medal, Fiocchi, Cheddite. Click on the url above. The XL wad should give you the result that you are wanting on the HS AA hull. 10tenner

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

OmahaSportingSupply has a pdf of DownRange loads. See URL above.

Joe

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I sell, shoot, and reload Downrange Wads. For straight-walled hulls (Federal, Estate, Rio, etc) the 12S3 Replacement (DRF3) is the best option for 1 1/8 ounce loading. I use this wad personally in Federal Top Guns and Gold Medals. It performs great! For straight-walled 1 ounce you have the XXL Orange. To your question about AA hulls. the XL-1 (green) and Jammer XL-1 work great for 1 ounce. For 1 1/8 ounce, the Versalite, XL-1 1/8, Windjammmer will all seal and work well. Prices range from $62.00 to $80.00 a case. I can ship you a bag, a case, or a pallet load. Contact me if you want to order, or need more info.

Matt - Woodson Ent.
    Phone: (270) 804-5454

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Before Downrange introduced specialty wads (TGT12 for STS)and (DRA12 for 1oz WAA) I used the NEON Green for most of the tapered hulls 1 oz loads. I had never shot that many Federal Gold Medal hulls. One of my customers traded me some FGM for other components so I needed to work up a good load to help move these hulls. The NEON Green may load only 1 oz in STS and WAA, but in FGM plastic it takes an 1 1/8 oz payload of lead and crimps awesome. It soon became my hull and wad of choice for a back fence shooting. I switched from Clays to Universal so I could push the FPS up there quickly. I would have used Longshot if I wouldn't have been banished from the range! LOL Universal is quieter. It is even listed on the Downrange web site. Neon Green DR wads and FGM hulls, you friends wads may fly farther but >>>>> NFL (NOT FOR LONG)! Without exceeding published recipes, had a whole lot of fun. Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.