1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

downrange wad loading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by petey, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petey

petey Member

where can i get loading data for downrange wads?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Alliant lists many loads using them. Downrange has some data but you will have to call to get it. Their website is horrible and does not show it. Hell they don't even show all their wads.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would not hesitate to use data for the wads Downrange copies, ie: Windjammer, Versalite, Federal, Winchester, and Remington factory clones.

That XXL thing is the only one on their site that is not a copy of something.

And I wouldn't use it for landfill. JMO.

HM

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

[And I wouldn't use it for landfill. JMO.]

Too bad, your missing out on a great wad..

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

HM, you risk the wrath of the Quack Shot.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link above for a booklet published by Downrange. It looks like a cut and paste from different sources using the original wads data for their clones. As long as you are conservative with the load selection, you shouldn't have that much trouble using established data. Alliant has a lot of data listed for the Downrange clones. Hodgdon has quite a bit for some of them also. Hodgdon does list wads that can be interchanged in their data, or at least they did a few years ago. The only clones that I have noticed that seem to raise pressures significantly in some loads, are some of the Duster Wads. The Green Duster especially in some of the Alliant data.

Halfmile,

I also don't care for the XXL wads. I haven't had the greatest results with them, but I also didn't spend much time trying to get them working either. I'll stick with what I have found that works for me. According to Downrange, one XXL is a replacement for the Federal 12S0. I didn't buy that story, but did buy a couple bags of each. They are gone and I won't be buying more. I have found that most of their direct copied clones are pretty good. The Federal 12S3 replacement is great, as are their Remington clones. I don't do 8 petal wads anymore either, since they are a pain to load and don't seem to offer any advantage over the four petal versions.

JerryP

It's mostly "careless" PRIMER substitutions that will invoke the wrath of the almighty Quack Shot! Pay attention! :)

Quack!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was given a bag of the orange ones buy a guy who hated them. After learning I hated them I gave the rest to a guy who alos learned he hated them.

I am not sure if there was a fourth sucker in the bunch. At 50 shells apiece a lot of guys could hate them.

Used in Federal cases and had about 15 bloopers out of 50.

HM

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Make the appropriate substitutions...

<center>[​IMG]</img></center>

Lister

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

HM

If it has two "XX's" in it, it wont be in any of my reloads soon. Now if you are talking beer, Dos XX isn't too bad.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Am I the only one who has no problems with the XXL??? Pink.. 19.6 Promo 24 gram.. Winchester primer,Remington hull.. Flawless

11. BigM-Perazzi

Sorry, I was thinking you were talking about the Dxl 1/8 wad. my mistake

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

downrange has run the last race. Most everyone has stopped carrying them. the last one I saw, green/blue looked and I think is a claybuster. Jerrys stopped stocking them last year. rick

13. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"downrange has run the last race. Most everyone has stopped carrying them. the last one I saw, green/blue looked and I think is a claybuster. Jerrys stopped stocking them last year."</blockquote>
    Who's "most everyone"? Gross over-generalization since I'm sure you don't know everyone who IS carrying DR wads... except maybe Jerry? Four of the reloading suppliers in our general area have started handling them (buying from distributors) in place of CB and Duster wads and, frankly, we're glad because they make the only reasonably-priced wads that fit properly in AA hulls.

Those who have a problem with a product would get more satisfaction and a helluva lot more useful feedback by contacting the manufacturer than by complaining to people who can't help.

Carol Lister

14. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I have shot several of them with 15.5 grains of clay dot powder and a 1 oz. of 8 shot. The wad will go right through the broken target at the 16 yard line and just under it at the 20 yard line. I've been shooting different downrange wads for 2 years and now I'm selling there product here in N.Ky. and S.Oh. area. I can say that I have'nt had a bad one yet. Tim

15. furface

furface Member

I load a lot of the DR-Orange and never a blooper and they will ink a target. I put them Estate hulls. Like Tim says, they will go right through a broken target. Joe

16. BigM-Perazzi

As most everyone has figured out.... ricks1 is helium filled, floating about, ballasted by bullshit....

17. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I use the Downrange XXL orange wad in Chedite and gold medal cases. Makes a nice 1/oz load with Promo powder. I think the downrange wad is as good as any and better than some. Good wad for the money.............Roger

18. psfive

psfive Member

I use Downrange wads in all of my 7/8 oz, 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz loads. I like them a lot. They work for my son and me. Just a great Nebraska product. Paul

19. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Been using the figure-8 clone for the past year now, just finishing up a case of them. Haven't had any problems yet, they load nice and smooth, and if I don't break the target, I don't think I can blame the wad I'm using...Maybe I'm just ignorant, but since when did a wad cause bloopers? You'd think I would have learned this in the thousands of rounds that I've loaded. Just curious. Josh

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Josh,

Poor plastic material can give you trouble and it can manifest itself in a "blooper". I had some Dusters a few years ago that would fracture in cold weather. When the over-powder cup is in pieces, I'd expect it to sound funny and lose velocity. That's exactly what happened. There were tons of pictures in numerous threads when this was going on. That was a fairly extreme example. All you need is for the wad not to seal properly and you have the right conditions for a blooper. I still have a bunch of these defective Duster wads and use them for practice loads in the summer or give them to "friends" for the winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
downrange wad reloading data
downrange wads
downrange wads load data

downrange wads reloading data

downrange wads reloading guide
downrange xxl wads
duster wad load data
reloading data for downrange wads