1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wad help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Borg, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borg

Borg Member

I know this has been discussed frequently, but I'm low on CB wads and wishing to try DR wads. I load Promo powder in Remington hulls.

Currently I load CB0178 (WAA12L equiv) for 7/8oz, and CB8100 (TGT12 equiv) for 1oz.

Can you give me your take on DR wads for use in Rem hulls using Promo?
    Thanks
    Peter

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have loaded the DR XL-1 for 1 oz loads in Remington hulls and use Promo. Good crimps and patterns. They are my practice load for doubles (both shots) and my first shot for registered using 8's.

I like the wad as the petals are never curled. It makes loading easy.

Don Verna

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I like the chartreuse one better than the TGT clone.

But they both work. TGT clone is a little smaller diameter.

HM

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Those green XL-1's will work for both loads. I really like the way DR wads load and the greatly reduced plastic fouling in my barrels. They work great in Remmy hulls.

I should have also noted that PBB really liked the DR XXL wad in his 7/8oz loads. I shot a few following his data and they worked great as well.

ss

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,

I agree with dverna,the XL-1 is a great replacement wad for your CBxxx.The XL-1s are really slick to load,and are better quality wad in general(seem to pattern better in our guns,plus less plastic foulings.....just my findings)
    Y'all have a great day,and Smoke 'em all!

D.P.Reynolds

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I gave up on CB wads in Fed plastic years ago due to many problems. I have been using the green Down Range 1 oz. Remington clone for light loads and the gold 1 1/8 clone for handicap. I am exceptionally happy with the results of both. 19 gr. Green Dot Rem. case, 209 primers. I just tried some blue Fed. 12S3 clones in Fed plastic hulls, no problems as was found with the CB s.

I have some plastic manufacturing experience and was told that CB uses a high percentage of "reclaim" plastic. This would account for the inconsistent collapse of the filler section which caused my problems on Fed.s and for heavy plastic build up. I would not change back if CBs were $2.00 per 5000.

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Downrange is an outstanding choice. Both the XL-1 and DRRT12 (TGT12 clone) are excellent. I prefer the DRRT12, but you won't be disappointed in either of them.

CB wads work fine, but as others have said, they do appear to leave a lot of plastic behind...I have found DR to not do that.

8. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

If you like downrange loads, you will like Spolar wads even better for all the same reasons.

Dave

9. plux001

plux001 Member

What Dave said.
    +1 on the Spolar.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The DR XXL Pink wad is a direct replacement for the Win WAA12L, and IMO works better.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto ZZT on the DR XXL Pink for your 7/8 oz loads. I use them whenever possible and rely on the XL-1 for my 1 oz loads - both, excellent results.........breakemall

12. Borg

Borg Member

Thanks all for your experiences
    Peter

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have to go opposite of most responses here, in all fairness I only tried DR products 1 time, XXL1 I think, anyway the pink one, not a good experience, called to ask questions, got very short surly unfriendly response gave the rest of them away, he tried them and threw them away. We both went back to OEMs or CBs with no more problems. Ross Puls

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ross,

I've talked to Kevin, at DownRange, several times about reloading data. Everytime the conversation was nothing but cordial and all questions answered is a very friendly manor. I've even sent in a few shells for testing and they've always provided me with the info/data I desired.

Kevin and the good folks at DownRange contribute a lot to this sport and even give away wads every year around Christmas time on this site. I don't see any other wad manufacturers doing this. As long as I continue to reload shotgun shells, I'll use Downrange wads!

ss

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well said short shucker.

I even stopped in and Kevin gave me a tour of his facilities. He's one of the good guys, for sure.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Umm, doesn't DR produce the Spolar wad for Spolar?

17. wlc

wlc Member

I have used both CB and DR wads with good results. I don't get excessive plastic buildup with either one. My questions about wad dimensions have been promptly answered by CB and samples provided. I haven't had much luck getting answers or samples from DR. I'll keep using CB unless I have a reason to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.