1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange wad for AAHS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

Which DR wad provides the best crimp in a HS hull with 1-1/8 shot and American Select or Greendot powder. I have used CB1118 but they are a little to long to get a consistant crimp. I don't live near a dealer that handles them so I can't compare them. I have used the XL-1 in these hulls for 1 oz and the length seems to be correct. Occasionally these will rise up in the hull after the shot is dropped, like the air under it had been compressed. I noticed that the CB wads have little vents around the powder cup that prevents that. Do any of the DR wads have that?

Thanks

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The DR Windjammer and 21 gr. of Green Dot makes a nice 1200 fps shell.

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I run the DRA12 for both 1200 fps & 1250 fps loads.

4. RonC

RonC TS Member

I've had some problems with crimps with greendot but have put it down to the relatively high volume of powder I had to use to get the load I wanted. Switched to International Clays and the crimping problem disappeared.

Ron

5. Borderland

Borderland Member

Why not switch to claybuster for the AAHS hull. If you go to the claybuster web site you can see the wads they offer with lead-in taper (including the clone for the rem tgt12). This lead in taper many times helps with clearing the base wad in the AAHS. Conversely the dr wad you mentioned looks to have a flared skirt. The claybuster clone for the f114 yellow wad works fine for 1-1/8 loads and helps when using bulky powders like green dot.

Ken

6. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the info. Is the DRA12 the same length as the WAA12?

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Switch to International Clays like someone else stated. Seems like the new style AA huls have less case capacity than the older ones!!

8. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks User1, that is exactly what I wanted to see.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I don't load many 1&1\8oz but when I do I have my best luck with Rems.TGTs for dense powders & RXPs for bulkier powders,in STSs & AA new style HS, more noticeable difference in the new AAs as they don't seem to catch (hang-up) on that little lip. CB clones work well for me also. just my experience. --Ross Puls

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

wlc ,
    " Occasionally these will rise up in the hull after the shot is dropped, like the air under it had been compressed"

The hull is tapered. The wad is being compressed into the tapered portion of the hull. When the press ram is raised the wad will rise to relieve the pressure. That is not anormal. Makes no difference. When the hull is crimped the wad will be pushed down into position.

11. dmdegood

dmdegood TS Member

DRA-12 with 19.2 International Clays. 1230-1250 fps. Works for me.

12. wlc

wlc Member

User1, the CB wads that I have been using are CB1118-12, I assume that is the same wad shown in your picture? I sent a couple of emails to Downrange but never received a reply.

Thanks

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wlc

Call Kevin Lewis at Downrange. He's pretty good about answering his phone, or getting back to people with questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do dra wads have a lead in taper