1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOWNRANGE VERSALITE WAD RESULTS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

As many of you know. I have been a Windjammer wad fan for all three events in trapshooting for a long time. In singles and doubles, they are the best wad I have found to date. For handicap, the original Windjammer 11/8oz. wad has given me very acceptable results from the 27 yard line. That being said, let me jump ahead here a couple months. I talked to Kevin at Downrange regarding the Versalite red 11/8oz. wads they are currently producing. Many years ago, I shot these wads when they were made by Pacific, and sold by Herters. I loaded them in a Federal Paper hull with 18.5gr. 700X and an 11/8 of #7 chilled shot. I shot them for ducks, over decoys, and they were a deadly combination. I noticed on Kevins website that he now had the new Versalites ready for sale, but, I also noticed something very unusual about them. Kevin recommended the wads for both the Federal straight walled hulls, and for Remington and AA tapered hulls. I called him and he told me the wad was just as effectice in one as it was the other. Now, being from the old school, I had never run across a wad that would work equally well in a straight walled hull as it would in a tapered hull. Nevertheless, I bought a case of them to try. I used the following loads. I loaded the STS hulls with 20.5gr. green dot, 11/8oz. 71/2 magnum shot, Fiocchi primers, and the Versalite wad. I put 5# of wad pressure on the wad just to seat it firmly on the powder. I loaded the same load in a Federal Gold medal, using 21gr. green dot, and all else the same. After bench rest shooting 10 of each of these at 42yds, using a 34" Perazzi DB-81 barrel that has been backbored to .742. and choked to .707 by Tom Wilkinson, I got the following results:

The 10 shot average for the Federals was 76% of the pellets in the 30" circle.

The 10 shot average for the Remington was 83% in the same 30" circle.

Now, in all fairness, I did have Tom set up the barrel to shoot Remington Nitro27's from the 27yd. line, which he did. My paper work from him indicated a 10 shot average shot at his shop after completion of my barrel produced 85% at 42 yards in a 30" circle.

The most noticeable thing about the Versalite wad is the depth of the over powder cup. It is extremely deep, which probably accounted for the excellent crimps I got using the bulky Green Dot powder. Both these loads loaded very easily, with zero problems. I'm not sure what Kevin has done to these wads to make them equal in either a straight walled hull, or a tapered wall hull, but, I can tell you that both loads will vaporize a 27 yard target with no problem at all. I was skeptical at first that this wad would work in a tapered hull, as it was first introduced for use with Federal straight walled hulls, but, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind now how effective they are. Bear in mind, however, that these wads are for long yardage handicasp shooting and are not designed for singles or doubles. If you are at all concerned about your choice of wads, I would suggest a phone call to Kevin for a sample of this new wad to try out. If not, PM me and I would be happy to send out a sample or two for you to try. I am really impressed with the performance and felt like the information should be passed on..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dan,

If you shoot many games, try the same wad in a Remington hull with 28.5 grains of Longshot and 1 1/8 oz of 6's with a Winchester primer. Absolutely deadly as far as you can see see them. Recoil is very managable and the speed is in the 1350FPS area, depending on your gun!

ec90t

3. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Why just for handicap?...........I just loaded 20 grains Green Dot/Nitro Hull/Rem primer /1 1/8 -7 1/2's for that purpose. 1200 FPS ...why not for 16 yds?

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Maybe we were doing something wrong but we used to use AA wads in Fed. paper cases with 700x powder. Worked just fine as my notes remind me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.