1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange "PC" pattern control wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by buddy123, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Is there a trapshooting application for these wads?
    These are red in colour and appear to be for a 1 1/8 oz load.
    Has anyone used these and if so, would you share your findings/results.
    Do they work in STS hulls?
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. 3357

3357 Member

Downrange

They are very usable wads, go to the alliant web site, look up "PC Red" wads and red dot powder with AA and/or STS cases there is much data to peruse for 1 1/8th oz loads.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange

They will work and there is loading data out there for them. I've used 18.0 grains of Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz of shot, Winchester or Remington primer. They run from 1150 fps to 1180, depending on the primer. Used them with Unique as well, for a nice handicap load. Check Hodgdons site for loads with International Clays or try the LIGHT loads with Clays. Most loads 1145 or over with Clays are a bit high on pressures. International Clays worked very well with these wads.

4. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Downrange

Thanks 3357 & quack shot.
    The manufacturer web site refers to a 2 % taper on the wad base and suggests that this adds to pattern spread. Does anyone think that this is an advantage or disadvantage for trap shooting applications.
    Quack shot , how were your handicap scores with this wad & what yardage did you shoot from?
    Thanks again,
    Pete

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange

Patterns with the loads using Unique were not too bad. The Red Versalite was noticably tighter. The Red PC did pretty good for me between the 22 and 24 yard line and shot better than I could. Any miss was my fault. I shot these from the 27 and at the back fence for the games, but would use something else if I had time to prepare. The PC Post wad was "supposed" to help spread the shot pattern. The Red PC patterned about the same as most middle of the road wads do. It was comparable to the Western WT-12, and some of the Claybuster Clones. For longer yardages, I'd be looking at something like the Red Versalite. The load with Red Dot worked fine back to the 22-23 yard line. I wouldn't say they were the best for caps, but good enough at the mid-ranges.

As to the 2% taper, I'm not sure if it really does anything. The wad petals didn't seem that much different from many other selections and patterns were comparable. If we had the same wad with and without the taper, we could compare them to see. Other wise, It's hard to say.

6. hammy11

hammy11 TS Member

Downrange

Hello: I have some wads that i am trying to identify. Can anyone please help? They are 12 ga red and they look like they will hold 1 1/8 oz of shot. I will try to attach a picture. It sounds like they might be the wads you are talking about. The gas seal end is about 1/4" and there are two circles about 1/16" between the gas seal and the shot cup. I wasn't able to supply a picture. Do you have a picture of yours?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange

Hammy11

Take a look at the CB3118-12AR at the link above. If that's what you have, then they are made as a replacement for the Federal 12C1 wad. You can contact the manufacturer and see if they can supply loading data. The PC Reds we mentioned are shown at the following url: http://www.downrangemfg.com/products/item/10/

8. hammy11

hammy11 TS Member

Downrange

Thanks for the help. The wad I have is similar to the cb3118-12AR but it has a second ring between the gas seal end and the shot cup. Also the support that joins them is a centre type. I can't figure out how to send a picture on this site but I could send it to someone if I had their email address? Thanks, Bill Hamilton

9. hammy11

hammy11 TS Member

Downrange

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hello again: I did manage to download a picture of the wad. Please click on the web url and the photobucket page will open up. Look on the left side of the page and click the tiny picture of the red wad and it will open up so you can really see it good. Thanks again.
    [​IMG]

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange

Hammy11

Here's the picture. For some reason it did not appear in your post. You might need to select the html tag and copy the text into the body of your post.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=RedWad.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I don't know exactly what wad this is, but I have seen it some years ago. If I had to take a guess, I'd think it was one of the old Herter's wads Maybe someone has a better memory than I do. You can post it in a new thread and ask for help identifying it.

11. hammy11

hammy11 TS Member

Downrange

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated as I was struggling to get the picture to come up in the message.

12. hammy11

hammy11 TS Member

Downrange

Hello again: I did manage to talk to some guys on another site and one of them was able to send me a drawing of the wad and lots of loads and other info on them.They are as you suggested the Herters Chalice wads. I want to thank everyone again for your time. Much appreciated, Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 ga post wads
load data for pc 12 red wads
old pattern control red 12 gauge wad
pattern control wad data

pattern control wads

pc post wads
pc wads pattern control

red pc wads