1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOWNRANGE ORANGE DRXXL WADS FOR 1 OR 1 1/8 OZ LOAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flybyknight, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

For sever years now I have been using Federal/Estate paper basewad hulls for a 1 oz load using either a 12So or CB-2100-12 wad, and 18 gr Clays. These yeilds a soft shooting load with a velocity between 1180 and 1200 fps. Recently, I couldn't obtain either the 12SO or CB-2100-12 wads, so tried to substitute the Downrange orange DRXXL wad. According to the Down Range website, this should be a straight substitution, however, the shot cup sits almost 1/8" higherthan either of the aforementioned wads. Consequently neither 1 oz nor 1 1/8 oz loads fit into the hull. Has anyone else had similar problems trying to substitute the Down Range wad for the Federal 12SO? Any solutions?

BobK

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

BobK,

When you say 1 ounce loads do not fit in hull, what do you mean? I am a Downrange distributor, and will be glad to help. I have loaded these, and have lots of shooters loading this wad. I haven't heard of any problems. Feel free to contact me.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    Phone: (270) 804-5454

3. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Is this Dunsmuir Knight speaking?? If so give me a call as I am going thru a nearly identical situation, but going a little further I am also using the other DRXXL pink wads stipulated as a 7/8 oz. wad for tapered cases, i.e. AA and STS. I am having the same problems with both and spoke at length with Kevin Lewis at DR the other day. Call me tomorrow (Weds.) and we can talk about it. Thanks.

Larry Addison (530) 246-1061

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Interesting, i am having the same problem as Larry! The wads i bought as a straight replacement for the Claybuster an/or Winchester are not!

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

When they first came out, the orange wad was supposed to be EITHER 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz in a straight walled hulls. Later they came out with the maroon wad for only the 1 1/8 oz in straight walled hulls. I loaded 500+ Federal cheapies for the family shoot at Thanksgiving. Wads worked fine. The 9000G (set up for STS hulls) did not like the Feds and orange wads. Took Grabber off the shelf, tweaked for hull and wad and then it worked fine. All these shells were loaded on MECs (mostly Grabber) using Clays powder by Hogdgon. I have just a smidge better luck with the maroon 1 1/8 oz wads in the cheapies federals. I still use the NEON Green DR wad in the Federal Gold Medal hulls. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help. I like using the Target Green DR replacement for STS and Pinkish DRA 1 oz for AA hulls. PM is available. Your shot may fly farther. Omaha

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I also have the same problem with the Federal hulls. The orange XXL will not fit a 1oz or 1 1/8 oz loads.
    I also have a MEC 9000G thats set up for STS/Nitro hulls and it will crush the Federal hulls.
    I had to take out the MEC650 and ajust it so it would work with out crushing the Federal hulls. Got it to work but did not shoot any because of the shot was not right.
    Will I guess I need help also.

Matt can you help. By the way the wads came in today. Thank you for the fast shipping.

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

BobK,

You have an email with solution.

Kraiza,

You have a PM.

Matt - Woodson Ent.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

The XXL Orange wad was designed for the top X in body of wad to collapse a little. The top X is thinner than the bottom X. If you are using a bulky powder (Clays, 700-X, Red Dot etc), you need to use some wad pressure. 10-30 pounds will probably do it. The shot needs to be 3/8" from mouth of hull. Use enogh wad pressure until shot is @ that point.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

9. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Thanks to all of you with your suggestions. So far, nothing has worked. I have contacted Down Range MFG, so hopefully they will have a solution that works for me. Thanks again! BobK

10. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I used several thousand of these drxxl's. They are great in the fed hulls for 7/8
    ounce and will work for 1 oz, but under no circumstances will they work for 1 1/8 oz. The idea of crushing the wad with wad pressure doesn't work. It will spring back and then one is right where he was before with shop spillage every time his loader indexes. I have a sploar and have no way of adjusting wad pressure. I love down-range and use only their wads, however the drxxl doesn't work as advertised. I wish they would advertise them as a 7/8 oz wad which can be used for 1 oz if necessary.

11. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Bob K,

I have loaded about 3,000 DR XXL Orange using Estate hulls, Fio 616 primers, 18.2 gr. of PROMO and 1 oz. #8's. They look like factory. I use a PW 800+ that has not been adjusted since receiving it straight from the factory. Your problem puzzles me.

Has DR change the wads in the last 3-4 months?

Is the denser Promo vs. another powder the key?

Is it the difference in loaders?

Inquiring minds want to know. When the solution is found, please post it.

HBT

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I tryed what Matt said. I put about 15 to 20 lbs of pressure ( MEC 650 )on the DownRange XXL orange wad. The wad stayed were it was set and the hull took 1 oz. of #8 shot.
    I loaded it up like this, Federal top gun with 17 gr of 700x Federal 209A primer with the XXL orange set at one ounce of #8 lead shot. It crimp up like factory. I only made up 5 hulls. Now I have to try it out.

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I don't care what the XXL Orange package insert says.....1 1/8 oz. will not fit properly in a Federal Top Gun type hull, using any of the Hodgdon or Alliant powders I have used.

7/8oz. however fits perfect using 19.3grains of Red Dot and W209 primer. It gives me about a 1230 fps. soft shooting load. If you take a flashlight and shine through the hull, the top section of the XXL wad had just exactly the right amount of "crush" with the crimp looking like a factory load.

1oz. will work but like a previous post said, you have to give a bunch more wad pressure to get an exaggerated crush and sometimes it still will not crimp exactly right. Just makes the hull a little too full.

Love those Downrange Wads

Mark

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Anything will "fit" into a hull if you apply enough pressure!!! These wads have shot cups that are perfect for 7/8oz. Anything more simply sits on top and is not carried down your barrel by the wad. I for one like to have shot contained in the wad through the barrel. Isn't that what the shot cup is for?????

IMHO, these are SUPER 7/8oz wads, and marginal for 1oz.

AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
down range drxxl orange load data
downrange xxl wads
drxxl
drxxl orange
drxxl pink
drxxl pink wads

drxxl wads

federal paper 1 ounce wad