1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange or Duster wads ? your opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I don't see much of a difference in performance, but I do feel and hear a difference between them when loading on my MEC 9000.
    I use three different Down Range wads with my AA hulls. The 1 oz. DRA-12, 1oz. Jammer XL-1 and the 1 1/8oz WJ-12-RPL.
    I use Claybuster 1 1/8oz CB3118-12A, and their 7/8oz clone to a WAA12L
    The Down Range feels to have a little softer plastic, a little smoother or maybe a better word would be slippery. They make no sound as the pass through the wad guide fingers, the press feels no additional force when loading them. The Claybusters feel a little courser , a little stiffer plastic and I get a fairly loud double cracking sound as they pass through the wad guide. The press also seems to strain just a tiny bit more when I'm using the Claybusters.
    Other than that observation I can't tell any difference from the 16 or 23 yd. line when shooting either one.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

Dusters are much better than 'busters. No experience with Down Range.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Downrange in my opinion are considerably better. They run the wad guide and into the case so much easier. The staff are helpful should you have any questions. The reps are friendly and curtious. In fact I've have never seen a duster rep.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've developed a fondness for both the Green Duster (1 oz) and the DR XXL-Pink (7/8 oz) wads. I think both are better than CB in terms of less plastic left behind.

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

atajohn,

I started a reloading supplies business over a year ago. I have the opportunity to carry any and all wads. I carry, sell, and load Downrange only! If you need any help deciding the right Downrange wad for you, let me know. I will be glad to answer any questions. I am not a component pusher. I am a shooter and reloader also.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    Phone: (270) 804-5454

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

atajohn... Let me confuse you some more. I shoot Green Duster wads in an Estate hull with 450gr. of shot in them for singles and first shot in doubles. For my second shot in doubles, I use 500gr of shot in a Top Gun Hull with the Downrange xl blue 11/8oz. wad. For handicaps, I use the Downrange Red Versalite wad in a Remington Nitro hull with 500gr of shot. When the Green Dusters are gone, I will switch to the Downrange green wads so all my wads are Downrange. They are the best on the market for both price and for performance. Claybusters leave way too much plastic in my chokes and, when you compare prices between Downrange and CB, there really is no difference, so why not use the best component you can get?... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. hagar85

hagar85 TS Member

Having used & sold both Duster & Downrange wads, I personally think the biggest difference between the two is the availibility of Downrange wads, and the support from the manufacturer. D-R is trying to produce the best after market wad possible, and they seem to have done it. Duster deliveries were sporadic and sometimes not available, and Claybusters have sadly deteriorated since the new ownership took over. (IMHO.)Hope this helps

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I no longer buy Claybuster wads.

Only, 'dusters, Downrange, AA's and Federals.

Don

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As an old head who has loaded most types of components over the decades, I will say that the easiest wad to load is the Duster. It slips through the press like Quicksilver. They give very little bore fouling. Performance is good.

The Downrange wad seem to be a little easier to load than the Claybuster, but some of the wads give lower pressure and velocity than wads they are designed to duplicate. They leave some bore fouling, but not an abjectionable amount. They perform well.

The Claybuster wad often does NOT slip through the press with ease. In some guns it appears to leave some bore fouling. Many of their wads give more pressure and velocity as compared to Duster and especially Downrange wads.

The Claybuster 12SO and 12S3 give me the best patterns and hardest breaks of any wads I have shot. They do not leave an excessive amount of bore fouling in my guns.

The heaviest fouling wad I have ever used was some genuine 12SO Federals.

YMMV

10. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

After using Green Dusters and Blue Dusters for 15 years or so I have switched over to the Downrange Windjammer for my handicap loads with Int. Clays and the Downrange XL-1 in my one ounce loads with Promo. I made the switch about two years ago and see no reason to go back to the Dusters.

Buckeye

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Almost of my plastic fouling problems stopped when I switched from Claybuster to Duster's four years ago. Only used a few of the DownRange but in general I felt like they were thinner and lighter. With that said I am pleased with the customer service that I read about DownRange from right here on this site. I will probably continue with Duster if available for a good price---but I will not hesitate to go with some more DownRange's. I am grateful for what Claybuster did years ago in getting a major price reduction in wads but their product is not what I remember when they first came out.

12. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

A word for the wise concerning Downrange DRA12 wads. If you put any pressure at all on the wad you will see that the wad fingers will bend in and let shot excape into the space between the wad fingers and the hull and it will mess your patterns up big time. Neither the Winchester WAA12 or the Claybusters CB118-12 have this problem; but, the Winchester wad is slightly longer and has trouble letting the crimp stay closed if you are using a bulky powder like Green Dot or REX II. You just have to trade-off the plastic clean up for better patterns. the beav

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

atajohn,

Please contact me if you can't buy Downrange wads locally. I will match any price, and I do not mark up shipping (handling fee). Merry Christmas to All!

Phone: (270) 804-5454

14. nipper

nipper TS Member

down range

down range

Bill

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

The last case of Claybuster 12S3 I purchased were so full of plastic angel hair that I decided to not use them any more. Post-2

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Angel hair?

Don't you know that improves patterns?

17. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

RE: Winchester WAA-12 wads and replacements therefore: On the problem with the wad petals folding inward and letting shot get between the wad and the hull wall -- the problem is actually the way that DownRange wads are made in comparison to Winchester and Claybusters wads. The DownRange wad is made straight up and down and the design of the wad makes the petals fold inward from pressure exerted on the middle of the wad by the hull - and then the more wad pressure you seat it with, the worse the problem becomes. The Winchester and the Claybusters wads are made totally different from the Downrange wad and both the Winchester and the Claybusters allow for this problem in their design, so that they never get shot in between the hull wall and the wad. Make yourself a test and set all three up side by side and really look at them - you will see that they are all three designed totally different -and if you weigh them you will discover that the Winchester is the heaviest - but the biggest difference is in the desigh of the wad's shot cup petals. Only the Downrange wad makes no compenstaion in the wad's design for the wad petals folding inward problem. The only thing these three wads have in common is their color.

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

MIA and dr. beav,

Why do you even use wad pressure? With todays wads and powders, wad pressure isn't needed. I load with 0.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Exactly... plus, your shot tube is supposed to enter the petals of the wad before dispensing the shot....The pressure of the shot pushes the petals out against the wall of the case...

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use Downrange wads almost exclusively now for my reloads. I tried the Dusters for a while too and broke targets ok with them.

I walked around the area a ways out in front of the traphouse looking for duster wads. Some I found had shot embedded into the plastic base at the bottom of the shot cup! Those wads were farther out than normal too. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
down range wads vs dusters
down range wj 1oz wads review
downrange dra-12 wads
downrange duster wads
duster wads now manufactured by downrange as of june 2013

green duster wads

old plastic winchester wads feel tacky
whats difference in orange downrange and yellow 410 wads