1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

downrange or claybuster wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by team henges, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team henges

team henges TS Member

Which wad is a better wad? the downrange or claybuster. I usually shoot factory wads and have heard many different things about, factories, downranges and claybusters.

brendan

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

For me its... Downrange first with Duster's second and Claybuster comes in behind everything else.

Mark

BTW...A series Downrange Wads with Winchesters and XL series with Remington..as good as it gets.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been a fan of various claybusters since they came out in the 70s and I made every effort to stay with them to honor their keeping the price of wads in line. I've now tried and must say I prefer the downrange wads and choose them whenever possible. "Whenever possible" is not always at all times so the CBs will fill necessary moments....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I've used CB for 15 years and have found them to be good w/o any problems( I know everyone will say they leave plastic buildup etc).

I heard Downrange are much better,so I tried them and did not like them because their AA 1 oz wad is longer(than the Win. AA and the CB1110) and you need to readjust your loading press to use them.They are NOT dimensionally true to the original.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Which wads. They both have winners and losers. I like Downrange, but there are a few of their wads that did not work as I expected, and some that were stellar. Claybuster has a few winners as well.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Used a few thousand of each.. as far as pulling the trigger and breaking a bird.. no difference.. none... but my mec 9k just seems to load the Dr better.. they do feel slicker to me and I think they go in the hull better.. no proof just feeling..

7. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

No camparison....The DownRange company makes only wads! They test them in house in hot, cold, wet, dry. Normally pressures are lower and velocities higher than OEM wads. Premium plastics leave little or no residue and are very slick so they reload extermely well. They give personal service which is a far cry in today's business world. If you have questions all you have to do is call and you will get the guy who develops the wads.
    Blackfoot, try the red 1 oz. wads in the AAHS hull. I'll bet you love 'em.

8. RJ

RJ TS Member

I'm setting on 5000 Claybusters and just finished loading 5000 C.B.'s I use Fig8's for 1 1/8-7 1/2 for handycaps & distence. These are in C.B.form also. I am setting on 5,000 of these to. I have used all of these for as long as they have been available from the begining. I get some build up at the choke tube but don't get anything with the standard older barrels. They need cleaned to but nothing significant. (RICH.inAz.orinnameonly)

Enfieldwill thanked this.
  9. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I've used both but right now it's Claybusters for me. As far as plastic residue left in the barrel from wads, I can't see any difference in my barrels whether I use Downrange or Claybusters.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Since Downrange does not make any wads in subgauge I don't plan on using them anytime soon. I do like the Dusters, but have a hard time getting them. Claybusters have never let me down, have shot perfect events with them and the only clone company that has been around forever!!! Anything that you HEAR from other shooters is HEARSAY, buy whatever you can get the best deal on, and sooner or later you will try them all and make up your mind. With that said the Win. AA wad is the most copied wad in the world, I wonder why that is as well. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Since Downrange does not make any wads in subgauge I don't plan on using them anytime soon."</I></blockquote>

The DR catalog shows one wad each in 16, 20, 28 and .410, mostly PC designs. Has that been changed recently?

MK

12. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

The Fort Hays State Shooting Team uses Downrange XL-1 wads and have loaded way over 100K of them with good success. They load great!

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

absolutely, positively the cleanest shooting wad you will ever load is the downrange. i hate to clean guns so i love this wad. trust me on that. great quality, price and service from kevin. good luck with it

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto JoeBob on the XL-1 wads; at least in the green and gold Rems.....Bob Dodd

15. The Stive

The Stive Member

Down Range does make sub gauge wads. I have used the 20 ga yellow and the 28
    ga blue. They work very well. I have loaded both Win and Rem hulls. They work in both. John

16. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I've reloaded the downrange XL-1 wad (green, pink, and biodegradable) into AA and Green and gold Remingtons including gunclubs. They seem to work great regardless what hodgepodge you put them in!

17. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I like the 1oz claybuster for my 16's load. Been using them for 2yrs now with no trouble.

Rich in Indiana

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

OK, You got me, I checked and did not notice that Downrange goes under the subname of Pattern Control in the two sub gauges. My mistake, I must have had a senior moment, or maybe I'm human. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clay buster wads any good

claybuster wads

claybuster wads review
down range spollar gold vs clay buster wads any difference

downrange vs claybuster

downrange wad reviews

downrange wads review

why choose downrange wads over claybuster