1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange Jammer XL-1 vs. XL-1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

Have any of you reloaders noticed a difference in patterns between these two wads? In theory I would guess the Jammers may tend to open up a little quicker due to 8 petals vs. 4 petals. Has anyone experimented with a pattern board? Is this theory correct? What difference can I expect between the two wads. I realize all barrels are different, just looking for general findings. Thank you, gjmen

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have done extensive testing on the 2 wads.. If the pedals get bent and mangled in the shot column..it produces a larger pattern.. If the pedals go in evenly.. there is little or no difference..

I have mangled fingers to load more open shells.. You can also clip a few fingers to produce more flyers..

3. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

ive tried both of these wads, and found to be little to no difference. I shoot the lime green XL-1 wad with solo 1000. My dad seems to like the purple XL-1 jammer with red dot. both are good wads but i see no difference in there performance. BYG

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

what is the best wad for 1 1/4 oz loads

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I like the Federal.. but I have not loaded much 1 1/4 oz..

6. gjmen

gjmen Member

Thanks, I think I will just continue using the XL-1's. gjmen

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I do not use wads with more than 4 petals. 8 petal wads are a pain in the "A" and if one gets folded over or out of place, it defeats the purpose. I patterned about one hundred shells to see if there was any difference. The only difference was the difficulty in loading an 8 petal wad. They may be easier to load on some presses, but I primarily use a Mec and they are not worth the extra effort.

8. JRW

JRW Member

I will bite why 2 wads called XL-1? Are they both Downrange? Jerry

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Lou..... You already know the answer to that question, don't you? Tapered hulls: WW1114 yellow wad. Straight wall: 12S4 brown wad..... The best, bar none, are the Activ T-35 blue wad, or the old Lage wads, in either hull, which are no longer being made.... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.