1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange DRFO wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fvtrkyhntr, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Picked up a bag of drfo wads to try. Having a problem getting a good crimp.
    Loading federal top guns, 18.0 gr red dot 1oz 8,s. Been using claybuster 12so clones. appears the downrange wad is about a 1/8 inch longer overall than
    the cb. Post is the same but shot cup is the same length as the 12s3 cb.
    Loading on a grabber and have adjusted wad pressure and crimp starter with no luck. Just appears to long! Any suggestions or experiences?
    Thanks Ken

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use denser powder or less shot. 700X loads occupy less space than equivalent Red Dot Loads.

If you want the ultimate in dense powder use Titegroup.

As far as the loader goes, you need the top of the shot column to be about 7/16" or 1/2" below the rim of the empty. IF nmot, a wad substitution is in order.

good luck

HM

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Contact Kevin at Downrange in Nebraska:

phone -- 402 463 3415

email -- <I>sales@downrangemfg.com</I>

He carries a Blackberry so he often answers emails by phone if you include phone numbers.

MK

4. clb

clb TS Member

Try the same components in a Federal GM hull and I think you'll find that they fit just fine. The issue is with the Top Gun/Estate hulls, they are just a tad shorter on the internal column length, probably due to the fibre base wad. The pedals on the DRFO wads are slightly longer but that's not affecting the crimp, it's that the shot is up too high. You can try increasing your crimp starter to be more closed, then increase your crimp depth, or juse just use slightly less then 1oz of shot.

I've also had problems with the DRXXL Orange wads. Originally Downrange said this was for 1 1/8 oz of shot but I see they revised their web site and changed it to 1oz. If your like me and my Mec 9000, you'll be luckey to get 1oz in there. You have to lower your shot/wad seating tube so low to get the wad seated on the powder, and as a result, you can't get the wad onto the wad guide. Mec will send you a beveled wad guide which helps. I use this wad for 7/8 oz loads but that's all that it will adequately hold. Still, I like their wads better than Claybuster.

5. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Try the DRXXL with the Fiocchi and 1oz, you don't have to scramble to get them. even if you load em once and let em fly.

6. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Tried them in the gold metal hullnand they work perfect.
    Thanks Ken

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I haven't tried these wads yet. I heard a similar statement from a friend and will try a bag or two before replacing my stock of OEM Federals and Claybuster Clones. If they fit with no issues and work as well as the others do, They will be on hand in my supply room. The 12S0 is one of my favorite one ounce wads. They would also work for 7/8 oz loads in STS and Win AA hulls if they are true to form. Has anyone tried them in the tapered hulls with 7/8oz loads yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

down range wad sales