1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrange 1oz. wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tekyn gold, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

8 fins or 4 fins pro and cons.

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I shoot the green downrange 1 ounce - the Remington wad clones.

They're not linked at the top of the petals like the remingtons, but it doesn't matter to me. Love them...bought 20,000 of them the last time I bought wads.

Good stuff at a good price.

There maybe other factors involved, but my averages are up across the board. Doubt its' the wad, though. They sure run good through my 366 loader.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The Downrange clone of the TGT-12 are great, load real slick, on my second 10,000---bought 10k at the Cardinal from AJ.

Lou

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Put them in the dryer with a fabric softener for 10 minutes and the petals will stay straight. BRGII

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

DRXL-1's work great for me....

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I never liked 8 petal wads, regardless of brand.

If you have to do somethign like put them in the dryer to get them so they won't fold under when you drop the shot, that's too much trouble.

I use the 4-petal XL-1's for my 1 ounce loads, and the TGT-12 clones for my handicap loads.

They both work great.

7. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

The fingers on the 4 petal wads hold their shape better so they're easier for some loaders to ram into the hull without catching a finger. The RT-12 (TGT clone) was designed for Remington hulls and the XL-1 was designed for Winchester hulls that have a smaller internal capacity. The XLs are shorted than the RTs.

Andy Moreland

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another vote for the 4 petal. The 8 petal wads, any make, have always slowed me down by half ensuring one of the petals hasn't gone up the shot drop tube.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I use the eight petal Windjammer II wad for 16's and with the RCBS Loader it isn't nessary to heat the wads as the WJ II wads stay open. BRGII

10. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Another 4 petal vote. I tried the 8 petal and it was OK. I just like the XL-1 better................Roger

11. psfive

psfive Member

Another vote for for 4 petals 8 are just to much work. Paul Leeper

12. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I bought 2,000 from recob the 8 pedal tried 50 took the rest and put them in the garbage can. trying the blue duster now for handicap shooting

13. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Andy, I've noticed the XL-1's are bit shorter too. I like them for 1-1/16 loads in the Remington hulls that I load for Sporting. I "crank" the load a bit to about 1250 FPS using Green Dot. Sure makes a nice load for the longer shots. .....Rick

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well I am a Downrange Dealer, Shooter, and reloader. I load all three wads for one ounce. Those being the XL-1, Jammer XL-1, and the TGT12. I load the the Jammer XL-1 wad for the first shot of doubles. I always shoot a one ounce load for first shot, and believe the Jammer has a little less recoil. I load the XL-1 for the rest of my one ounce loading. That being singles and handicap. The only reason I do not load the TGT12 is that wad is $3.00 a case more to the dealer and consumer.

As far as patterning 8 petal vs. 4 petal, I can't tell any difference. I am not a pellet counter though. My pattern results consist of shooting paper, making sure there are no gaps, then crushing targets like straight-aways from Post 3. People have always stated that the 8 petal opens up faster. Well, I don't know. I have a customer that is laoding the Jammer XL-1 wad for 27 yard handicap. He loads it up @ 1250fps and it crushes targets!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    (270) 804-5454

15. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I use the Jammer XL-1 for all of my 16 yd loads. Shoots great.

Vince McNamara

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to weigh in here with a little information I discovered lately regarding just this issue. I have been loading my 1oz. loads for singles with the Green Dusters all season and have been carrying a very good average over several thousand targets. Good enough to keep me in AA. I was given a couple bags of the Jammer XL 1oz. 8 pedal, purple wads to try. I loaded them up, using the same basic receipe as with the dusters. I loaded 500 of them. Over the 500 loads, at the 16yd. line, my average dropped by 3 points. I noticed right away that my breaks were not "smoke" like they were with the green dusters, and a lot of my breaks were marginal, at best. Now, those of you that know me, know I shoot 11/8oz. Windjammers for handicap and love them. They are a very good, hard hitting wad, and I've had nothing but good results with them. I don't know why the Jammer XL-1 wads don't perform as well as the green dusters do, but, IN MY BARREL, the Jammers are not doing the job for me. I went back to the green dusters, and my scores, and my breaks, got much better again. I will stick with the green dusters for 1oz. and the original Windjammers for handicaps........ Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

The original windjammer 1oz was the best 7/8oz wad I ever found when I was loading on a MEC. They slowed me down a little but I never was really interested in being the fastest loader on the block anyway. When I went to P/W and then Spolar the nuisance factor became too high and I went to first the XL-1 and then the TGT12 by Remington depending on the hull and load. The TGT 12 made great 7/8oz loads in the AA hull and great 1oz in the Remington hull but man did they leave a lot of plastic in the chokes. When Downrange came out with the DRRT12 I started buying them and they are great. I just bought another 5000 from Matt and will probably buy more. I never really noticed any difference in the performance of an 8 petal vs a 4 petal wad.

--- Chip King ---

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have loaded 1000's of rounds using the Jammer XL-1 using both Rem. and AA hulls. It took a little while getting the routine down loading the 8 petal but now I can load them just as fast as a 4 petal. I've always had great breaks and scores with them at the 16. This year I decided to try some DR-XL-1 (lime green)in Remington hulls, I really don't find any difference between them and the Jammer, both show great breaks shooting through a IM barrel. I also bought some DRA-12 (pink) for use in AA hulls, again, easy to load and I'd have to rate them equal to both of the above. Three great wads, all preform well for me. I guess I'll just load them all.

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Trap2 (Dan Thome), If you like the Green Dusters, please try the Downrange XL-1 (green). They will amaze you. If you buy them from me, and don't like them - well send em back and I will refund you.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises "The Scattergun Store"

20. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

4 Petal DRXL-1. Best Regards. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange 1 oz wads review