Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downrange 1oz. wads

4K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  omahasportingsupply 
#1 ·
8 fins or 4 fins pro and cons.

#2 ·
I shoot the green downrange 1 ounce - the Remington wad clones.

They're not linked at the top of the petals like the remingtons, but it doesn't matter to me. Love them...bought 20,000 of them the last time I bought wads.

Good stuff at a good price.

There maybe other factors involved, but my averages are up across the board. Doubt its' the wad, though. They sure run good through my 366 loader.

#6 ·
I never liked 8 petal wads, regardless of brand.

If you have to do somethign like put them in the dryer to get them so they won't fold under when you drop the shot, that's too much trouble.

I use the 4-petal XL-1's for my 1 ounce loads, and the TGT-12 clones for my handicap loads.

They both work great.

#7 ·
The fingers on the 4 petal wads hold their shape better so they're easier for some loaders to ram into the hull without catching a finger. The RT-12 (TGT clone) was designed for Remington hulls and the XL-1 was designed for Winchester hulls that have a smaller internal capacity. The XLs are shorted than the RTs.

Andy Moreland

#14 ·
Well I am a Downrange Dealer, Shooter, and reloader. I load all three wads for one ounce. Those being the XL-1, Jammer XL-1, and the TGT12. I load the the Jammer XL-1 wad for the first shot of doubles. I always shoot a one ounce load for first shot, and believe the Jammer has a little less recoil. I load the XL-1 for the rest of my one ounce loading. That being singles and handicap. The only reason I do not load the TGT12 is that wad is $3.00 a case more to the dealer and consumer.

As far as patterning 8 petal vs. 4 petal, I can't tell any difference. I am not a pellet counter though. My pattern results consist of shooting paper, making sure there are no gaps, then crushing targets like straight-aways from Post 3. People have always stated that the 8 petal opens up faster. Well, I don't know. I have a customer that is laoding the Jammer XL-1 wad for 27 yard handicap. He loads it up @ 1250fps and it crushes targets!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
"The Scattergun Store"
(270) 804-5454

#16 ·
I'm going to weigh in here with a little information I discovered lately regarding just this issue. I have been loading my 1oz. loads for singles with the Green Dusters all season and have been carrying a very good average over several thousand targets. Good enough to keep me in AA. I was given a couple bags of the Jammer XL 1oz. 8 pedal, purple wads to try. I loaded them up, using the same basic receipe as with the dusters. I loaded 500 of them. Over the 500 loads, at the 16yd. line, my average dropped by 3 points. I noticed right away that my breaks were not "smoke" like they were with the green dusters, and a lot of my breaks were marginal, at best. Now, those of you that know me, know I shoot 11/8oz. Windjammers for handicap and love them. They are a very good, hard hitting wad, and I've had nothing but good results with them. I don't know why the Jammer XL-1 wads don't perform as well as the green dusters do, but, IN MY BARREL, the Jammers are not doing the job for me. I went back to the green dusters, and my scores, and my breaks, got much better again. I will stick with the green dusters for 1oz. and the original Windjammers for handicaps........ Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#17 ·
The original windjammer 1oz was the best 7/8oz wad I ever found when I was loading on a MEC. They slowed me down a little but I never was really interested in being the fastest loader on the block anyway. When I went to P/W and then Spolar the nuisance factor became too high and I went to first the XL-1 and then the TGT12 by Remington depending on the hull and load. The TGT 12 made great 7/8oz loads in the AA hull and great 1oz in the Remington hull but man did they leave a lot of plastic in the chokes. When Downrange came out with the DRRT12 I started buying them and they are great. I just bought another 5000 from Matt and will probably buy more. I never really noticed any difference in the performance of an 8 petal vs a 4 petal wad.

--- Chip King ---

#18 ·
I have loaded 1000's of rounds using the Jammer XL-1 using both Rem. and AA hulls. It took a little while getting the routine down loading the 8 petal but now I can load them just as fast as a 4 petal. I've always had great breaks and scores with them at the 16. This year I decided to try some DR-XL-1 (lime green)in Remington hulls, I really don't find any difference between them and the Jammer, both show great breaks shooting through a IM barrel. I also bought some DRA-12 (pink) for use in AA hulls, again, easy to load and I'd have to rate them equal to both of the above. Three great wads, all preform well for me. I guess I'll just load them all.

#21 ·
One thing that some may have overlooked, but the Lime Green wad makes a crushing 1 1/8 ounce load in Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls. The thickness of the 4 petal wad makes it much more rigid than the 8 petal wads. I have had good luck also with the Target 12 replacement shooting both 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads from Remington hulls. Even good breaks with TGT12 and Gun Club hulls. Some reloaders feel that the FIG8S (stitched) are too tight and are also hard to load. YMMV Omaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.