1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(?) Downrange 12S3 Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

Been using Federa1 12S3 wads exclusively in Federal Papers. Hearing a lot about Downrange wads. Might give them a try. Comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Bob

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

DON'T FIT CORRECTLY IN FEDS.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Claybuster makes a 12C1 replacement wad, the CB3118-12AR

I don't reload papers much anymore but I used about 10,000 of the Claybuster 12C1 replacement wads and they were excellent. I loaded 18.5 700X, a Federal 209A primer and 1 1/8 oz of magnum 7 1/2's. This load crimped great and was a great 1st shot games load. It easily smashed targets at 35 yards.

Ed Ward

4. Selka

Selka TS Member

I have beem using Downrange DRF3 wads for about 3 years now. They are about 60% of the cost of Federals. I tried using the Claybuster version and had enough problems that I wont use them again. My Downrange wads load the same as the Federal wads. I am loading Top Gun and Estate hulls for games through a Ponses Warren loader. You might try buying one bag of wads just to try. John Miller

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

BAD luck with DR product--too many soft--odd sounding loads to the point other shooters asked what I was shooting (loading). Good luck with CBs & OEM. Everything according to published data. Verified with 2 different scales. Just my experience. Ross Puls

6. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

John, Bob said he was using Federal papers, sounds like you are loading plastic.

My .03 cents

ed.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Bob ... they are like magic! They will get you back up into B Class!

:)

8. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

It might depend on the powder you are using. The Downrange ones seem to be slightly smaller. I use Red Dot and it seems to work fine but some other people use powder that is in smaller flakes and seem to have issues. The Claybuster version seems to work well also and is much cheaper than Federal.

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I use the CB118-12 replacement for the 12S3 in Fed Top Gun plastics with 1 1/8 oz shot and 18.5 Red Dot and Cheddite primers. Load on a PW and they look like new shells. In fact some of my shooting and reloading buddies thought they were new shells. I have loaded about 10,000 and they are effective from the 27 but I use them from the 16 and in doubles. They will devistate targets and are very consistant over a chronograph. Please note that I only load these once and only use hulls that I am sure have had no water inside. I have as much confidence in these as ANY new shell on the market!

10. nords

nords Member

I stopped loading Papers a few years ago, but my son wanted to buy 5 cases at the grand, so I bought the downrange replacement wads. I have loaded 500 with red dot and they have worked great. I have been sold on DR verses CB for years. Having been in the plastics bizz the amount of build up in your chocks with CB only say's lots of regrind material verses virgin material.

11. In plain view

In plain view Member

Many thanks for your comments. I've been shooting Red Dot with Federal 12S3 wads in papers but as some mentioned cost comes into play. I tried the Claymuster clone but not overly thrilled with them. I'll give the Downrange 12S3's a try. Ahab: If I'm not carefull Tri County will be throwing my butt into "C" class but since going back to the Federal paper hulls looks like I might finally be getting back into the groove. 96 sunday not that shabby. Bob

12. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Use PB all problems solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Nanner nanner ... bet you by one bird ... even with having to change guns in the middle when I broke a firing pin!

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Downrange wads are as good as any federal you can buy. I load fed papers exclusively and they work great

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

The CB 12S3 wad is a good choice for Fed. papers, but you should try the CB red figure 8, it works great in papers. I don't like downrange wads, too soft, I get varying wad heights, depending on the hull.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.