1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Downrage 1 oz xl wads--Anyone like them?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Been thinking of trying them out. Anyone here had good luck with them? Jim

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Best wad out there, good patterns , no fouling, and truly great personal at the plant to work with,
    Chuck

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Like the Target 12 and the WSL better.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its all I use for 1 ounce loads.

Great wad.

5. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Best wad I have found for 1oz loads. Remington hulls, 17.5 promo and cheddite primers. Make my old 90T smoke'm!

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Love them, but they are just a tad bit shorter than OEM or Clay Buster equals. I had to tweak the crimp a bit, and even then is is concave a bit more than I like.

That said, they work great, and are very slick, no residue to speak of left behind.

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've used the XL-1 (Green) Jammer (Purple) and Win Clone (Red) and they are all great wads.

Just a touch shorter than I would like, but I back-off the wad pressure on my 366 and the crimp is just slightly concave with STS or old style AA's using 17.5gr promo and Win209.

My son broke 2-99's and a 98 so far this year with them.

SW

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As to the height...they work perfect with Clays which is a bulky powder.

9. wlc

wlc Member

The length is about right in the AAHS hulls. I've been thinking of trying them with about 1-1/16 oz shot in Gun Club hulls. Anyone tried this?

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

work great with claydot in 1 oz loads in sts/aa

I'm now using them for 1 1/8 oz loads in federal papers and plastics...

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

It's all I shoot. Nice wad.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Love'em....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I use the green XL-1 was with green dot pwd. Perfect results,although not all 100 straights.
    Joe Jordan

14. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

Used em with Clays with good success. Used the Green XL1's, pink, and the new biodegradable brown ones.

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

In Rem and old style AA hulls thay are as good as you can get. For AA-HS hulls, the DRA12 is the wad that fits best. In my gun, both give me exceptionally tight patterns.

16. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a new jug of Clays powder and a bunch of Promo. Looks like I'm going to have a bunch of fun. Jim

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

wlc...<blockquote><I>"The length is about right in the AAHS hulls. I've been thinking of trying them with about 1-1/16 oz shot in Gun Club hulls. Anyone tried this?"</I></blockquote>

Been doing this for about 6 months... uses a 5.5 P-W shot bushing and 17.3 grn. of claydot (regular 1145 fps 1 1/8 formula)... doesn't seem to be any difference in performance between the same load with the green XL-1 1 oz and the blue XL-1 1 1/8 oz wad. The green one crimps better and the load shoots great.

MK

18. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I have been using them with Red Dot powder. I load both on Hornady and Mec. The XXL is slightly shorter than OEM wads and does leave my loads slightly concave with Winchester and Remington hulls. I do not care for this but it doesn't seem to affect performance or hull life. I do like that the wads are slick and feed into the hulls easily. The XXL also seems to leave less plastic in the bore than other wads I have used.

On my last bag, I did experience some deformed wads. All but one of these loaded ok as they just seemed to have an extra small slivers of plastic attached at the top of the wad. One wad was huge and really deformed (Like it was subjected to heat. I plan to take it to the Grand with me to show Downrange folks) to the point that there was no chance of loading it into a hull at all. All of the other bags of Downrange wads I have purchased have been fine with on apparent defects.

I do like the wad and will likely continue to buy them.

19. psfive

psfive Member

Load em up and shoot em. They work great. We have shot thousands of them. Paul

20. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Ultra light loads in Remingtons they are short or the old AA same thing. New style AA OK. But I am using 14 grains of 700 and a 1 Oz load. Switched to the DR rem replacements and its a perfect load now for the rem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.