1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Downers Grove SC, Il. 6/10/07 ATA Shoot***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Harv Shell, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just a reminder,Sunday June 10 the Downers Grove Sportsmens Club in Morris, Il. invites you to our ATA shoot, "State Shoot Warm-Up" Federal Shell Shoot. Weatherman says sunny and low 80's. Trophies will be 260 box's of Federal Gold Medal(130) and Estate(130) shells. Event starts at 9am with Singles(100), Handicap(100) and 50 pair of Doubles to end the day. Kassmans will be cooking, so come hungry and have a great breakfast and lunch at the club. All events will be 100 per field, 5 per post, with 6 program fields so things will go pretty quickly. Regristration opens at 8am and the Singles start at 9am. We will have a practice trap open all day, along with a skeet field and 5 stand field. Come on out, shoot some great targets and win some shells for the Illinois State Shoot. Targets are still $24.00 per hundred with over $1200.00 in shell prizes. There's also over $3,400.00 in the Handicap Perpetual Purse. Any questions call 815/405-3320. Harv Shell.

2. Harv Shell

btt for a day or 2

3. Harv Shell

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Hey Harv. Nice shoot and nice folks. Sure had fun, except for missing that 1 target at yardage to win a purse. Darn. And, cough, I won't say what happened in the shoot off.

I'll be back.

Got a question for you. When an event's shooters are finishing there's quite a few open fields not being used. Why not start the next event on the open fields? I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering. I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Never having worked on a shoot before, I'm neive out why.

Thanks, Joe

5. Harv Shell

Joe, thanks for coming. To answer your question, after the singles I wanted to give the trap personel time for lunch. During that time, I went through all 6 fields with the targetspeed to make sure they were good for the caps. After the caps, I had to go through and set all the fields for doubles. I don't like setting the doubles next to fields with caps shooters, and as a shooter I don't like the distraction of someone setting a doubles field next to my handicap field. That brings up a question, do shooters like doubles 1st or last? We usually have the doubles first, but I had enough shooters at the April shoot ask why we don't do singles first, I thought we would try it. I like the doubles 1st, both as a shooter and shoot director. As a shooter, I like to get the gun moving with doubles as a warmup for singles and caps. As a shoot director, with doubles first it's a little easier on my squadding and cashier people. Not as many people shoot doubles as singles, so the line is a little more spread out through the morning. I also like setting the doubles first, I'm under no rush if I start early enough, unlike setting them after the handicap. I can switch from doubles to singles alot quicker than vice-versa. Sorry for the long answer, I feel like you asked me the time and I told you how to build a watch. Thanks again, Harv Shell.

6. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Hi Harv,

I thought yesterday's shoot went very smoothly. You made several improvements over the flow of the events as compared to the April shoot. The single trap bank system seemed to work well yesterday. For small shoots with only 3 waves, I don't have a problem with a small break between events. Yesterday the breaks were completely acceptable in my opinion.

For the event order, in April, I don't think doubles being first was all too bad but remember you shot 150 doubles instead of 100. That slowed things down and contributed to the event running really long.

I personally prefer doubles last. I don't want the last 100 targets I shoot to be the ones that require the most concentration. I don't want to shoot handicap at the end of the day on a Sunday shoot. (Not that shooting Handicap earlier helped me in the slightest bit yesterday...)

I had a lot of fun shooting doubles yesterday after my pitiful handicap performance and that made the ride back home a whole lot nicer.

Anyway, good job. I especially like the perpetual purse. The potential there is huge compared to the entry fee for somebody who has a good day.

--Scott Thompson

7. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

good job yesterday harvey in there the bone

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Harv,

Thanks for the discussion. There's alot of things a shoot director might do that isn't apparent to the shooters, so an explanation can really clear it up. Thanks. Hope to see you soon.

Regards, Joe

9. Harv Shell

Greg(Bone) you won a flat of Federals for your yardage group. They are in the trophy case with your name on them. Harv.

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Harv -

Are the results posted anywhere?

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.