1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Down Range Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kerry, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

How has everyone's experience with Down Range Blue DRXL 1/1/8 and DRXXL Pink 7/8 oz wads been okay? I am considering changing from the Winchester 1 1/8 and 7/8 oz wads to these due to the large price difference?

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While I have no experience with the 1 1/8 oz Down Range wads, I do use the DRXXL 7/8 oz wads. I have loaded/fired thousands of shells with these wads and am completely satisfied with their performance. I tried the Winchester wads and Remington wads for 7/8 oz loads and did not like either of these. The Down Range wads load easily on my MEC 9000E (Automate) loader and pattern beautifully in my Beretta 687 unsingle at 16 yard targets. I think you will find them a great wad subsitute. Just use the Winchester WAA12SL load data for 7/8 oz loads.

3. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have shot thousands of Down Range wads of several types - in 1 1/8 ounce - 1 ounce and 7/8 ounce - have been very pleased with the products.....and I have found they are great people to talk to as well.....

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I just bought another 5000 XL1 and XL118 wads last week. I shot loaded over 5000 last year including 1000 XXL 7/8's and found they pattern well and leave much less plastic residue in the barrel/chokes than nearly any of the others, clone or OEM. You will be satisfied at the least and probably very impressed.

The neon green looks pretty impressive scream across a dark background under the lights at night too.

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Both are excellent wads. If you're using the 1 1/8s for handicap, you also might want to try their Versalite wads. Those things are great.

Jim

6. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've shot several cases of the XL-1 with great results. The only problem I've had is trying to find another case when I need one. There is NO one pandling them in S.E.Minnesota area. Dale

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I load, shoot, and sell Downrange Wads! They are the best! The XL-1 1/8 (blue) is a very good wad. I load it in STS hulls for my second shot in doubles. I also use it in a practice handicap load. The Versalite is a very good handicap wad, as mentioned. The XXL pink is really catching on. I do not shoot 7/8 ounce, but I have buyers that really love the wad! I have all of these wads in stock, and are ready to ship. Please let me know if you need any!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises Phone: (270) 804-5454

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have not found any wads I like better than Downrange.

In Remington hulls the XL family is all I use any more.

In Winchester hulls I like the DRA series for 1 and 1 1/8 and the XXL for the 7/8 oz, this being due to the slightly smaller volume of the winchester hulls.

I am slowly wearing out my stash of Winchester hulls and they are being replaced by Remington hulls but that is another story all together.

9. lancelot

lancelot Member

I've shot numerous versions of the Downrange wads. I have never found any wad, factory or otherwise, that I liked any better.

Ron Ireland

10. TjayE

TjayE Member

I have used claybuster wads all my reloading career. Can someone tell me the difference between the Down Range wad and the Claybuster wads. How do they compare price wise? Are the Down Range wads priced competitively with the CB wads? Tom

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I switched over from Claybuster to Downrange initially just to try them. Found that they loaded better in Remington hulls (this is my subjective call). Price seems to be about the same as Claybuster. I REALLY like the XL-1 and XXL-7/8 and have shot thousands of them. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.