1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Down Range Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I've started using Down Range XL1 wads for my one ounce loads and my Remington STS shells don't close all the way. I'm using a MEC 650 and have tried all the adjustments I know of. I'm dropping 18 grams of Hodgens Clays and have about 30 pounds of pressure on the wads. Does anyone out there have the same problem? Is there a solution?

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes unless you meant 18 grains instead of 18 grams since 1 gram is ~15.5 grains.
    If you meant grains then the load should work well in an STS case. Are you sure that you are dropping 1 oz of shot. Where in the case is the shot level before you move to the pre-crimp station. It should be just below the fold lines approx 1/2 to 5/8" down from the case mouth. If not and you are using 1oz of shot (weigh it don't assume ~ 437.5 grains)increase the wad pressure until it is there.

--- Chip King ---

3. ismah

ismah Member

chipking, Sorry I confused you and I did mean grains. The level of the shot is not that deep when loaded into the non-crimped hull. My MEC 650 came with a pre-drilled shot bar that travels back and forth loading both powder and shot. It is calculated to drop one ounce of shot. I do not have a problem loading other makes of wads but will take your advice and try adding more pressure to the wad. Thank You.

4. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I also use these wads in gun club hulls for my 1oz loads. Was told by both Mec and Downrange to use NO wad pressure at all. I have the wad ram on my Mec set up so my crimps are flat or ever so slightly dished (there is a lot of variance in lenght w/ Rem hulls) and I show no wad pressure when I load. J. Terre

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Clays is a bulky powder. I use 16.5 gr. of titewad and love the load. Odie

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

All other advice above is valid, but please (per Chip King) weigh the shot to be sure it is 437.5 grains (+/-), you need to know these things.
    Have fun,

Larry

7. icelander36

icelander36 Member

I load on a mec 650 useing the same wad with Rem and win hulls. Get like new shells with it. First thing I would do is make sure the precrimp is closed enough so that the small end of a primer would just barly fit into it. I do not use any pressure seating wads. Then I adjust the crimp cam so it closes and I do not get swirill or hole in center. My crimp is about 55 thousands deep and the final crimp station gives a very slight taper to the end. The empty hulls are not always the same height so I keep them in seaperate batches to minumize having odd looking finished loads.

Lyle

8. psfive

psfive Member

I use the same loader (MEC 650) same everything as you are. I get perfect loads. Check the precrimp and set it to slightly smaller than a wood pencil eraser. Wad pressure is set at next to nothing. More than that leaves a dished crimp which is only a cosmetic issue. Call Mec They will help you. Paul in Nebraska.

9. icelander36

icelander36 Member

When I reread ismah's second post it scares me!!! He types" It is calculated to drop one ounce of shot". Is he USEING A SCALE?? I have loaded up to 1 1/16 oz of lead 7 1/2 NW shot in those wads and rem hulls and they are perfect. NO bulge NO dish. Please ismah tell us you have a scale and are useing it.
    Thank you Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.