1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Down range wads easier to load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunsmoke77802, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunsmoke77802

gunsmoke77802 TS Member

So I finally got to some down range wads & loaded them in some AA hulls. ¡Boy were they easy to load! I'd figure the down stroke effort was way less than half. Not only that but they seems slicker all around compared to the other well know wads I was using. So much so that a few ended up on the floor because the slipped out of my fingers. Has anyone else experienced this? I hoping for good shooting result. They just felt allot slicker easier loading.

JAy

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jay, We all have.... good wads..

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have noticed this as well. The others seemed to hang in the hulls and the wad petals would get pushed in by the wad ram. With the DownRange, they slide in the hull with little to no effort and i rarely ever catch the petal by the wad ram. I also use to have problems with plastic fouling in my choke tubes. Once i started using the DR wads, that was reduced to almost no plastic fouling at all.

Another great thing about DownRange is their customer service. They are always willing to help with your questions with knowledgable answers. I won't use any other brand.

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

The original wad makers as well as other "after-market" makers, could take a lesson or two from Kevin, Jim, and all the Downrange gang!!!!....merlyn

5. psfive

psfive Member

I still have to pull the handle down and place the wad on the ram EVERY time. But they are really great wads.

Maybe best of all they are made just down the road right here in Nebraska. Paul in Nebraska.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have used DownRange wads in my newer AA hulls and I agree that they load very well but I do not have any problems at all when using Winchester wads designed for the 2 piece AA hulls either.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It takes so little effort to insert a wad into a hull how could anyone tell the difference. I have used all major brands of wads and there is no difference in the way they load. Every brand has bent petals . I have mostly use Downrange wads the last couple of years. Every bag I open goes straight into the clothes dryer. The eight petal wads are pita otherwise.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I won a few bags from kevin last year when he posted the contest on here. I was hesitant to try them but I have and will be using nothing else now. Great wads

9. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Just out of courosity, what is a bag/case price in your area? For me buying from vendors at San Antonio, Linn Creek, or any major shoot with vendors they range about $90/$95 a case.

Thanks Darwin

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

DownRange wads go in easier because they are smaller in diameter than the wad they claim to duplicate. Don't believe me? Get a DR wad and a OEM wad and hold the bases together.

Dan

11. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I used DR and had some problems. Called and emailed customer service several times. No response. Stopped using them. Won't recommend either. Good Luck.
    Rick

12. wlc

wlc Member

My experience has been similar to zaob1. I don't understand the big fan club.

13. grntitan

"I used DR and had some problems"

Is it a secret? Why not share what problems you had?

14. zaob1

zaob1 Member

DR wads did not hold the same compression as other wads according to the cronograph. I suspected this after serveral rounds at my local club. They just didn't shoot or sound the same. When I tried to contact DR about this, and ask for advise, I received no response on several requests. Using the same formulations except the wad, DR was down 60 to 75 fps from other formulations. Grntitan, I hope this answers your question. No arguments here. I just won't use them again.

Rick

15. grntitan

Rick--Thanks for the reply. Personally i don't think without a chrono i could tell the difference in a loss of 60 to 75fps. That's me though. I really find the issue you had with customer service very odd for them but stuff happens. It's certainly not the experiance i had. I guess that's why there is all the different wad manufactures. Use what works best for you and good luck. Once again, thanks for the reply.

Matt

16. DanLee

DanLee Member

DownRange wads go in easier because they are smaller in diameter than the wad they claim to duplicate. Don't believe me? Get a DR wad and a OEM wad and hold the bases together.

Dan

17. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I used DR and had some problems. Called and emailed customer service several times. No response. Stopped using them. Won't recommend either. Good Luck.
    Rick

18. wlc

wlc Member

My experience has been similar to zaob1. I don't understand the big fan club.

19. grntitan

"I used DR and had some problems"

Is it a secret? Why not share what problems you had?

20. zaob1

zaob1 Member

DR wads did not hold the same compression as other wads according to the cronograph. I suspected this after serveral rounds at my local club. They just didn't shoot or sound the same. When I tried to contact DR about this, and ask for advise, I received no response on several requests. Using the same formulations except the wad, DR was down 60 to 75 fps from other formulations. Grntitan, I hope this answers your question. No arguments here. I just won't use them again.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.