Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

****DOWN RANGE VS. WINCHESTER WADS****

6K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Old Texas Marine 
#1 ·
I have been using Winchester WAA12SL (Pink) 1 oz. wads. The cost at my local supplier is $100 for 5,000. How do Downrange Jammer XL1 ( 1oz. purple) and Downrange XL1 (1 oz. green) compare? They are currently priced at $75.00 for 5,000.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Flyfish.... I have used all three you just mentioned and I have found that the XL-1 to be the better wad of the bunch. They pattern better out of my DB-81 Combo than the other 2, and they reload like a hot knife cutting thru butter. I definately like them, and prefer them to the Winchesters.....Just my ecperience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#3 ·
I use the Downrange XL-1 (green)as a replacement for the WAA 12SL. I like the XL-1 very much, I have less plastic buildup in the bore and they do pattern great. The Xl-1 does wiegh less than the WAA 12SL. This could explain the 10 to 12 fps more with all other components the same. I do NOT load near max so I do not worry so much about pressure differences. If you like to load closer to the 11500 psi pressure I would suggest using the loads from the Downrange manual. I think you would be very happy with the XL-1.

Thanks....Rick

#6 ·
Green XL-1 wads work fine, and load easier in my machine than the Winchester or Claybuster wads.

I've been using them since they were burgundy colored.

Worth your while to at least give them a try. You'll like them.

#8 ·
I have no problem loading any wad.. but the DRXXL and XL wads are the #1 wads in my book.. I've extensively tested all of them last summer.. 8000 24 gram shells.. with every wad one can easily obtain here.. The XL and XXL are at the top of the list..along with the Federal 12SO.. Everything else fell shy in long range light payload performance. I must say.. that once you get in the 35 yard range or shorter.. it really did not matter much.. Just about all of them performed good. but stretch that to 45 and 50 yards..its a whole different story.. While we are here.. don't forget the Versalite wad for 1 1/8oz payloads.. it just plumb works great..even from the parking lot..
Surprisingly.. out of the Federal throw away hulls..and paper,and Cheddite.. the Nobel 1 oz wad did extremely well too. They did not load well..or easily in a Remington or AA hull.

#18 ·
The direct replacement for the WAA12SL is DRA-12 Pink 1 oz. They make a DRA-12 White which is the WAA12 replacement.

I would like to know if those who have used both the DR-XL-1 and the DRA-12 Pink have a preference. I've used up almost 5,000 of the DRA-12 Pink and when I reorder I am wondering if I should try the XL-1 wad or is there any real difference?

HBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.