1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**DOWN RANGE SAMPLES**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Received my Down Range Sample packs today and loaded some rounds. Two packs of 25 wads each were in the envelope. One pack was the DRHF8 wads, the other was the DRHF3 wads. The F8s are yellow and are meant to replace Remington Figure 8 wads, they are the same except they have 8 petals instead of 4. They loaded fine into my Nitro hulls, the crimp was good, there was no distortion to the hull. (My recipe is: 1 1/8 oz #8 shot, wad, 18.4 grains of Clays, Win209 primer.) The DRHF3s were a different story. I loaded them the same as the F8s but the crimp bulged on every shell. Maybe the wad is meant for a different hull but I won't use them in my STS or Nitro's. I mistakenly loaded a few 1 oz loads with them and they looked perfect. (?) The DRHF3s are purple with kind of a spiral bottom and 8 petals. They look to have the same good quality as all the rest of the Down Range line.
    I'd appreciate some feedback on this, I haven't shot any rounds yet and would like to hear from someone that has. Bill

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The DRHF3, as it says on the package, is a clone of the Federal 12S3 wad. This wad is for the straight walled hull such as the Federal, and is not the wad of choice for a tapered hull such as the STS or AA hull. Although the Hodgdon Data site shows some 1 1/8 oz loads using this wad with Clays powder, I don't see one using the WW primer. Where did you find this load receipe?

3. ismah

ismah Member

Bob K, I've been using the recipe for a long time and don't remember where I came up with it. It has always worked well for me. The WW primers fit and fire perfectly in the STS and nitro hulls. You didn't answer my question so I guess you have no direct knowledge of the DR wads other than what is printed on the package.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Sorry, Bill. I did not see you ask a question. The only question mark in your original post is where you think you have a perfect crimp with one oz loads. You did ask for feedback, and I said a wad for a straight wall hull is not the best choice for for a tapered hull.

5. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Kevin,

Recieved my samples in todays mail. Can't wait to load them and try them out. Thank you Lyle

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The DRHF3 wads are made for 1-1/8 ounce loads in a straight walled hull, like a Federal Gold Medal. A tapered hull like a AA or Remington doesn't have as much room inside as a FGM, so to use that wad in those hulls you would cut your shot down to 1 ounce.

I loaded my sample DRHF3 with 28 grains WSF, 1-1/8 ounce shot in a FGM hull, and they were perfect.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.