1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Down Range Pink Wads 7/8 oz Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BLACKDOG, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

Has any one tried laoding Down Range Pink 7/8 oz wads, with a MEC 9000 Hyd loader. Some how this wad is TOO tall and it mess's up the timing between the 1st and 3rd station, where wad and shot goes in. The resizer will crush the hull that is in the 1st station. Some one gave me a modified wad guide that was to fix this problem, NO HELP. Any one else had this problem.

2. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Levi,

I had quite a time with that wad and it's "brother", the similiar orange wad for straight wall cases. First of all, they are both way over full with one-ounce charges, at least an 1/8" or more over the top of the wad cup. Second, if you try to get any indication of wad pressure at all (Kevin says you don't need any at all) you encounter the problem you're having getting the wad into the guide. In summary, I spent too much time trying to get satisfactory loads with both these wads (had purchased a case of each) and never did accomplish that feat. Even loading per Kevin (don't worry about wad pressure, the crimp pressure is all you need he says) I got still got inconsistent sounding reports from the shells all along; I contend they don't seal satisfactorily using STS hulls with the pink and Estate/Top Gun hulls with the orange wads. I finally gave up on both wads, traded the remaining partial cases for powder, went back to 12SO's for the straight walls and fig 8's for the STS. All problelms went away and we're back on track again. I do use his XL-1 (green) and TGT 12 clones and they work fine. I would suggest not even fooling with those XXL wads.

Cheers

Larry Addison

3. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Set your shot drop tube on your MEC 9000H so that you can just see 7 lines. You may not see much pressure, but the crimp should seat the wad with ample pressure. Use no more than 7/8 ounce shot. I suggest you weigh the load on a scale. I am using 13/16 ounce with great success. 15,000 loaded and shot with no problems. Using a gold medal hull that makes for a soft shooting shell with good consistant patterns on paper and on birds.

For a 1 ounce load use the Downrange neon or purple wads designed for 1 ounce.
    CA

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I load the pink DRA 12 wad for 1 oz. loads using 18 gr. of Promo in AA and Remington hulls and I have plenty of room. I can even put a dried bean in the wad first to get a bit higher shot column. I haven't tried the pink XL wad.

I do use the XXL Orange wad in Estates with 1 oz. loads. It gives perfect crimps and provides me success on the field. Once again that is with Promo. Maybe the secret is the very dense powder.

I use a PW 800+.

YMMV

HBT

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

You will need to slightly adjust/modify the wad guide on the Mec9000 to work easily with the downrange 7/8 wad. Averaged has a good mod (shows a picture of it in one of the recent Shotgun Sports mag issues, where he beveled one edge of the guide to allow the wad to slip on easily. I simply cut the lower base a bit (it sits on a projecting point on the rod which can be seen if you remove the guide from the rod it clamps to) so that the whole wad guide sits just a little lower than the factory setting. Now it works great for the 7/8 downrange, and works fine with all other wads as well.

Jim R

6. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I use both of the xxl wads in a P.W. with great success both out of the press and on the line. My only complaint is cost, I wish they were 55 a case!! Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

downrange xxl pink