1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Down Range 8 Petal Fig 8 Replacement Wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Does anyone have results from using this new Down Range wad? Thanks.

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

My samples loaded great !!!

3. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Loaded very good in a remington sts hull with American Select powder.Will put to paper ASAP.

Pete

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Got mine today

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I received mine today also am looking forward to trying them.Jerry

6. geeber

geeber Member

Paul,

They loaded great in STS hulls. I will be trying them tomorrow at the Silver Dollar and I'll let you know how they do compared to my regular figure 8 load.

Gary B.

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Got mine and loaded both all worked great will buy more. Thanks for the free ones

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Mine should be at home when we get back on Tuesday. I'm loading Spolar WJ's in once fired STS, now. I'll let you know how they compare.

Thanks keven....best...mike

WOO HOO, just as predicted; we got home yesterday and there they were waiting in their nice little bags all dry and warm. Thanks Keven....glad you didn't make these ones target red.....grin

9. mthiwal

mthiwal TS Member

I used quite a few downrange FR8's along with Remington Figure 8's and could see little difference but had many of both brands with bent peddles that unless fixed would be pushed down into hull. I have switched to Clay Busters and so far have not had any bent peddles. (I use a Ponsness Warren 800 Plus) Mark

10. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Loaded my sample pack yesterday. Used my same recipe. 17.4 Claydot, Fiocchi 616 primer,STS hull with the new 8 peddle fig.8 wad. Loaded great, nice crimps. No complaints in fact, if I won 5 bags of wads in the X-mas wad give away I would probably order those! Ha! Ha! Sorry I mean Ho! Ho!

11. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Does anyone have comments regarding the effect of 8 petal vs 4 petal wads?

12. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Mine loaded great in STS , Nitro, Gun Clubs and Win AA's.

13. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

How would they work for handicap?

I load Downrange XL1's 1oz for singles in Rem hull with Rem primer, ~19 gr of Intl Clays. Looking for a wad for 1.125oz, Rem hull, primer and ~ 21 gr. Trying standard Rem Fig 8 (CB8118-12) now but like Downrange.

14. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

They loaded into Nitro 27 and Gun Club hulls very well, but I had to use extra care when loading those 8-petal wads in my MEC Sizemaster.

I'd either stick one of the petals up into the drop tube, or get it stuck in the column return spring.

15. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

I use a MEC too, the XL1 petals sometimes get stuck into the drop tube too.

16. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Shot a 16 yd round with the sample new fig 8 yellow wads.Good breaks ,missed a couple as usual . not the wads fault, loaded vg in STS hull 1 1/8 ,18.5 American select .
    Crabby

17. geeber

geeber Member

Great Wad!! I tried them finally today. My handicap yardage is 21 but there were a couple guys shooting practice from the 25 so I jumped in to try out these wads. I broke 23 so I would say they work really well. I will be buying them since my home club is a dealer for them.

Gary B.

18. lance howard

lance howard Member

DRF8 has been a good choice for me in the STS hulls. I have loaded over 3000 so far. STS hull, Fiocci 616, 20.4 Green Dot, DRF8 wad, 1-1/8 Eagle shot. This load is from the RCBS manual with the only change the wad from the Rem to Downrange brand. I use an Oehler 35 chronograph and the results for five shots are 1209. 1219. 1214. 1222. 1215. Fairly consistent. The crimps are critical to getting a consistent load pressure. These cases are once fired with .052-.055 deep crips. I have found that they stay consistent until reload number 4 or 5 when the case mouth is starting to get tired. I use the DRS0 1 ox in the Estates and Top Guns with equally good results though the cases are junk after 2-3 shots . Since this load is my own concoction I won,t publish it but the pressure tests came back very mild. Lance Howard

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Seems like there is some crosstalk going on. The wad that the OP asked about is the NEW 8 PETAL WAD...not the regular fig 8 replacement.

20. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

"I use a MEC too, the XL1 petals sometimes get stuck into the drop tube too"

Good wads , good pattern! What i did was change my drop tube from 12 ga. to a 20 ga.drop tube and had no problem after that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.