1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dow closes at record high

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Dow just closed at a record level. Wow! Isn't that Obama something?

Even though only a few days ago he was predicting Armageddon because of sequester, he made the tough decisions to turn it around.

Your predications??

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My predication is just what happened last time, tie yourself to something sturdy because the bottom is going to fall out from under us.

One reason the dow is going up is because the feds is printing more money.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

So it hit a high, and that helps the common people how??

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Common people should know how to help themselves.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just wait for thr Friday selloff. Jeff

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Get ready for a big "correction"

History has a nasty habit of repeating itself

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don't trade, invest---just like playing options at big shoots--a sucker bet !!!

Phil Berkowitz

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Well I'd rather have a lot of devalued dollars than a few. There will be a minor correction but the stock market has been on a steady rise for quite a while now.

The common person benefits, Timberfaller, since, assumming they were a bit prudent, their portfolio is more valuable. It's not that complicated.

9. alf174

alf174 Member

can you say "Bubble"?

No real wealth being generated there, real wealth comes from putting in an honest days work.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, there will be a sell off and some profit taking in the next few days, but I think the market will have "legs" for a while. The reason where else is there to put your money? Bank Cds? Uncle Ben B has said he is going to keep interest rates low until unemployment goes under 6.5%. Fat chance of that happening anytime soon.

Where you going to put your money? Real estate, single family homes? I thought about that, but by the time you pay taxes, insurance, management fees, etc..... It is just simpler to put it in stocks.

I don't have much faith in the market or the economy, but for now it is the only game that makes sense. As soon as interest rates go up it will be time to exit. Even saying that I don't see a big run up in stocks, and I'm not blindly adding any money at this level.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Isn't the Dow comprised of only 30 stocks?

Bob Falfa

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Real wealth comes from paying your employees an honest wage & they will make money for you. Believe me it works-I retired @ 53 & gave the company to my employees.

Phil Berkowitz

13. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you have a few minutes click link above

14. beeper

beeper Member

The DOW will continue to have records highs. Where else will the 1 percent who control 99 percent of the wealth put their money?

the beeper

15. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

The dow-jones industrial average is comprised of 30 stocks representing an across the board sampling of companies who operate in diversified groups. Aluminum, Consumer Finance, Telecommuncations, banking, aerospace, and more.

Unless you are a holder of all, or part of these stocks, the dow average would have no meaning to your personal wealth.

Will there be a market correction? Yes, somewhere along the way profit-taking will set in and computerized selling will then cause a correction due to previously placed stop loss orders. This will cause a downward trend for a while.

Then the traders will start buying again when stocks crater, for a market run up. The cycle starts over.

The really sharp money fund managers will sell at the top and short the various stocks so as to take advantage of the up and down volatility.

Simplistic examples;

Long selling --- buying a stock at $25 and selling at $35. Profit $10.00.

Selling stock at $35 you don`t own (shorting) and buying it back at $25 to cover your short position. Profit $10.00

Doing both, easily the trickiest---profit $20

Most money fund mangers are savvy enough to make money no matter which way the market goes.

If, as some seem to believe, the market is due to correct soon, then short a stock that is at its all-time high. You could make some money. You could also lose money if the stock price continues upward.

Therein lies the risk.

I agree with 635G--don`t trade, invest.

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Private Sector is doing Fine. What else do you need to know?

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Beware the new high as it may well predict a big fall! When I see a big run up i get ready for a bigger pull back. I started putting stop losses in place

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Where is the bubble? I don't see any sector in a bubble mode. Sure there will be a pull back, two steps forward one step back. That is the norm. Again, where is the bubble? The market is the only place making any money at all. ERGO: the ramp up. If there is any other place to make a few bucks, even at an inflated rate, please advise......

19. alf174

alf174 Member

Some say precious metals is a bubble, some say same with bonds. Its subjective until it actually happens.

I don't believe the economy can make a real recovery until the actual unemployment rate is reduced.

20. 100straight

100straight Member

The investors I know are happy about the sequester because it cuts federal spending, albeit by very little, but they see it as a bit of a positive sign, hence a willingness to invest. One of my friends told me that if Obabma hadn't put us 16 trillion in debt, he thinks the markets would have gone over 20,000, maybe even 25,000, a long time ago. He also said if the sequester had been reversed the market would have dropped.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.