1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Season opens Monday (Pictures added)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grnberetcj, Aug 30, 2013.

1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Took my grandson (11 y.o.) shooting this afternoon to get some practice before the season starts....

Curt

grnberetcj_2008_030361.jpg

2. cafowler

cafowler Member

Should open on Sunday, 9/1 in most all of the states. Hate to see you miss the opener if you had a wrong date.

Good luck, post up some pix of the bird pile and feathers flying as he's cleaning them also.

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

wish i had a place to go. whole family loves doves with several excellent recipies (doves in wine gravy being one). would pay a daily or seasonal fee.

milt

Linn Creek, MO

4. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Arizona opens Sunday the first. We are enjoying a VERY wet summer that is keeping many white wing doves in the area. Also we have a population of Eurasian dove that are not included in the daily bag limits. It should be a great opening day!

5. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Texas doves opens on Sunday. My question is what guage gun will you be using. For me I will be shooting a Wingmaster 20 ga with a fixed Mod choke then later a Ruger Red Label 20 ga with two mod chokes. I am not taking a 12 ga at all.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

TX Yankee...depends on the distance your shot might be. if you're hunting on a pond or in trees, mod 20 ga is fine. but longer passing shots i'd use a full in 12 ga. lots will disagree but don't be fooled. a dove is harder to bring down than a quail, woodcock. the flesh is dense and bones large for its size. 60 years of dove hunting in TX, i'd use a full w/7 1/2 or 6's if the shots are high or long. I don't like wounding birds that die later. use enough to put them in your bag, but not tear them up. Again, depends on distance on most shots you'll encounter.

If you're hitting them but only bringing feathers...step up in ga. and shot size.

milt

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It always seems to me that the guys shooting the little guns put more lead in the air than the guys using 12 ga. shells. IMHO Ron

8. eastcoastshooter

eastcoastshooter Member

HERE IN VA. WE HAVE TO WAIT TILL NOON MONDAY NO HUNTING ON SUNDAY HERE.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Same in DE & MD, no Sunday hunting.

Curt

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Milt, Tom Peak owns a couple of game preserves west of Jeff city on 50. Call me 636 456 1012 for a phone number.....merlyn

11. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

Dove Season in Ky. opens Sunday, 9/1. There are Public fields across the state and WMA's are also open to the Public.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Do us a favor and scare up a few into PA. We seem to have fewer and fewer birds each year!!

13. C-Money

C-Money Member

We had a great opener! Lots of birds flying for us this year!
    cmoney_2008_03032.jpg

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Started out slow for my grandson & daughter, but things picked up and they limited out by late afternoon.

Curt

grnberetcj_2008_030365.jpg

grnberetcj_2008_030366.jpg

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Our season opens on 9-7 here in Georgia. On opening day we have to wait until 12:01 to shoot. After opening day starts in morning.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Curt,
    You had to have a great day hanging with the kids ... Good going ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It was very enjoyable (except for the humidity), I watched, they shot, dog had fun....a very good day.

Curt

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I watched, they shot, dog had fun....a very good day. It does not get any better than that Curt

19. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Central and North Zones (in Texas) opened on Sunday, Sept. 1; South Zone doesn't open til Friday, Sept. 20th. Had a great opening day at a trapshooting friends family ranch just north of Fredericksburg, Texas. 6 hunters around what is left of a stock tank (major drought throughout the whole state) all limited out before sunset. Lots of birds, all morning doves, no white-wings in the flights of birds we saw Sunday. I'll try and post a picture or two when I get a chance.

Mike* (MH*)

Full limit of morning doves layed out after the hunt. Hunters posing in front of their "harvest". Extreme drought and temperatures for the opening of the season made for some "unusual" hunting attire; but never going without my snake boots !!!

mikehessongmh_2008_030311.jpg

mikehessongmh_2008_030312.jpg

mikehessongmh_2008_030313.jpg

20. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member