1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Recipes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

So, I went hunting for the first time and I somehow got all of the doves that we shot. Anyway, I breasted them out and now have 20 breasts. I've researched online and found a bunch of interesting recipes, but I don't think I've ever even tasted dove....so what's the best way to prepare them? Does anybody have a favorite recipe?

2. joshif

joshif TS Member

Did you use that dreaded LEAD shot? How can you even THINK of eating that bird, Man? Even if all the lead went straight through, there is minute quantities that the EPA would find as TOXIC!!!!!!!!!GEEEEEZE! Unless you made head shots give them to a Democratic free lunch that draws out the dregs to vote for the Democrats and feed them to the dregs!The Hill in Pittsburgh is the first place to take them. Rant Rant,Rant LOL

3. cleboje

cleboje Member

Best recipe for dove:

Breast the birds and marinate in italian dressing overnight.

Then place a slice of jalapeno along side both sides of the breast and wrap with a slice of bacon.

Skewer with a toothpick to hold it all together and grill over low heat on the backyard BBQ grill. When the bacon is browned, the breast is done.

I have never had any leftovers with this recipe!

P.S. Enjoy with a cold beverage.

Joe

4. calilori

calilori TS Member

yummmy!!! I think I have enough of those little critters to try all of these recipes.

5. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

if you used lead shot, soak the breasts in saltwaterfor about an hour to get rid of all the lead. then, soak them in italian dressing for 3 hours. wrap bacon around the breasts then grill.

6. calilori

calilori TS Member

Ok, I'm curious. Yes, we did use lead but how will soaking in saltwater get rid of the lead? I'm seriously just asking an innocent question, not trying to start anything.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Never heard of the soaking thing for lead either.

Anyway...Debone the breast, soak them in Kraft 3 cheese salad dressing overnite or 3-5 hours, then sprinkle with Lowry's seasoning (lightly), and wrap in bacon. Put on grill till bacon is done, drink a beer, eat a dove. You can add the pepper if you wish. We prefer not.

8. calilori

calilori TS Member

And which beer is best with dove? I am a bit of beer snob. I prefer Rolling Rock, Soporo or Fosters. Are these acceptable with dove?

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Cal....The best beer is....Cold Beer.

10. calilori

calilori TS Member

LOL...I can barely hold a two pack. Sorry, I'm a total lightweight when it comes to alcohol.

I don't think there is any lead left in them but I did put them in the freezer until I can figure out what to do with them.

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Try using McCormicks 15 minute meat marinade.Every breast will melt in your mouth.BBQ 5 minutes per side and they are done.Take the gizzards and hearts and place them on a bamboo skewer with the same marinade and these are the snack sticks with the cold beer.PJ

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

calilori,

A friend of mine who is a chef has this recipe:

Make a marinade of equal parts olive oil and Worcestershire sauce, then add some "Montreal Steak Seasoning."

Marinate the dove breasts for 3 hours or so (I usually leave them in a ziplok bag in the refrigerator over night.)

Using a cast iron skillet, pan fry the fillets just enough so they are browned on the outside, and still deep purple on the inside.

The first time I had dove fillets prepared this way I thought it was small chunks of the tenderest and best beef tenderloin I had ever tasted.

Give it a try.

13. BlzMTU88

BlzMTU88 TS Member

The thing about the saltwater is that it makes the meat swell up a little so the holes are bigger to see if any lead is still left in the breast. Saltwater is also used to take all of the blood out of the meat. Just giving you a heads up about the saltwater thing. I use it when dealing with waterfowl meat also.

Kyle

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Saltwater also makes the meat salty!

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Well-Known Member

"Breast the birds and marinate in italian dressing overnight. Then place a slice of jalapeno along side both sides of the breast and wrap with a slice of bacon. Skewer with a toothpick to hold it all together and grill over low heat on the backyard BBQ grill. When the bacon is browned, the breast is done."

This is my personal favorite recipe, with the exception of the heat; I grill over a hot flame (when the bacon starts dripping, even "low" heat becomes high!). Try omitting the jalapeno and heavily coating with garlic pepper, if you don't care for the hot stuff....

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

From shooting many many ducks and geese, (and mudhens) I learned that the overnight salt water soak is good, it pulls out the latent blood and some of the wild taste.

If they are kind of strong for you, a light parboil with baking soda will purify them too. then use any of your favorite recipes. That is the trick for mudhen stew. Delicious.

HM

17. MEF

MEF TS Member

Filet the breasts and marinate in a mixture of beer and cider vinegar for a few hours, wrap with a basil leaf and then wrap that with a slice of prosciutto and throw on a piece of foil on the bbq pit. Great appetizers!

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Wrap dove in bacon. Grill till crisp. Throw dove in garbage and eat bacon.

19. calilori

calilori TS Member

Wrap dove in bacon. Grill till crisp. Throw dove in garbage and eat bacon

Well aren't you just little Mary Sunshine today!!!

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

calilori,

You've made me so hungry for dove breasticles!! I read the recipes and salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs--it's been forever since I've had them.

We will require a detailed report on the results of your culinary endeavors!

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dove recipe forum

dove recipes