1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Meat Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pcrc11, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

Started dove hunting with my son a few years back and finally got some birds this year. Having not grown up in a hunting family myself I was not sure how to field dress them. Saw a pretty good video on youtube but was not sure if you leave meat on the breast plate to cook. I pulled meat off and now have small chunks. Is it better to cook on the bone or cook them boneless. Cant wait to try the bacon wrapped method. I would appreciate any info on prepping the dove meat. Thank you

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Just leave the meat on the breast's.I use a small puning shear to cut the breast's from the body!I also keep the hearts and gizzards,Clean the gizzards and throw everything in a sealed container with Italian salad dressing,Let it soak overnight! Take the hearts and gizzards and put them on a bamboo shish ka bob skewer.You can get a bag of them at the store for a buck.Throw evrything on a hot grill and turn the breasts every 6 minutes only turn 1 time you don't want to overcook,The kabobs cook fast too.The bacon works great but it's alot more work! Enjoy

3. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

I guess this may be a dumb time to ask but how long will it keep in the fridge.

4. turmite

turmite Member

Not long enough. You freeze it, pack it tight in dry ice and call me! I will give you disposal instructions for it! :)

Another really good receipe (sp) for dove is to brown it quickly in a skillet, the cook slowly in a crock pot and serve over dirty rice.

I will have to try the grilled dove though, because I have found nothing cooked on the grill that isn't good to eat!

Mike

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

pcrc, if you vaccum seal or freeze in water as long as any other meat. I hate keeping meat over 6 months but I would say a year just as long as you keep it from freezer burning. Oh poacher gave excellent suggestions and the only thing I disagree on is the guts. I don't eat the guts but those catfish sure lovem. Since you do have the meat off the bones you can cut it into bight size chunks and soak in buttermilk 4 or 5 hours in the microwave. Remove and roll in cornmeal or seasoned flour and deep fry. A good cocktail sauce and your ready for dippen.

6. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Filet breast meat off of bone. Saute in butter with garlic, salt and pepper. Takes maybe 2 minutes per side.

You'll never cook them any other way if you try it.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Tastes like liver???? None I ever have had tasted like liver and I like liver. You must be overcooking it. Serve them rare.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

All I do is dress them to pop out the breast meat. Soak them in salt water over night. I generally freeze the few I get and wait until I get about 2 dozen. Than I thaw them out, Use that stuff called Shake-N-Bake on them and do them up in the oven on a cookie sheet. I know your belly is growling just thinking about them, try it.

9. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Cook doves like Carp. Place on a oak board and cook in oven at 400 degs. for 3 hrs. Throw away doves and eat board. Not fit to eat but fun to shoot.

10. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey there,
    Get yourself a Rapala 4" filet knife and slice the meat from the main breast bone. There is a line on the front side of the breast bone, and cut just on the side of that line. Then, do the other side. As you slice downward, gently "swoop" the knife in a curve as you get to the bottom of the breast. 1/2 a strip of bacon rolled around the meat with a toothpick through it to hold it together, and 45 sec to a min. 15 sec on both sides ad you're done (on the grill) Don't make the fire too hot. Even with what I consider a med to light heat, arrange the meat to the sides so they cook indirectly. YUM
    Glad you had some birds to shoot! Just to always be sure to take the birds that are in a somewhat close range for an improved cly. choke to be effective.
    -all the best, powderburn

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Marinade filleted breast meat over night in a mixture of olive oil & Worcestershire sauce, with a generous amount of Montreal steak seasoning mixed in.

Pan fry in a hot cast iron skillet, just long enough to braise the surface and get them hot. Eat "almost" raw.

You will be surprised.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pick up the birds as soon as you shoot them. Go back to your blind and while waiting for the next flight, hold the bird upside down with your right hand and stick your left thumb under the breast. Pull up forcefully and all you will have is the breast. Put that in a plastic bag. Leave the rest of the bird in the field for something else to eat. Don't get any dove blood, or any other type of blood on the blued parts of your gun. It will remove the bluing. When you get home, the skin and feathers on the breast can be pushed off quickly. If you spend more than 45 seconds to clean a dove, you need to shoot more birds and practice.

Pat Ireland

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

We stuff little chunks of meat with cream cheese and a jalapeno pepper, wrap with bacon and broil, should work with doves.

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My belly is sore reading this. I'll get out a few afternoon this coming week.

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

Breast the birds, add salt & pepper, put a slice of Jalapeno Pepper on one side, a slice of Vidalia Onion on the other, wrap with bacon, hold it together with a toohpick, dowse with Cholula Hot Sauce. Put all of the breasts in a covered Pyrex baking dish and cook in the microwave for ten minutes. Once cooked, take the breasts out and put them on the grill with BBQ sauce of choice. Enjoy.

Andy Baez

16. byteme

byteme TS Member

Use the breast meat to make rumaki. Cut btreast in half or thirds and soak in either soy sauce or teriaki sauce for a few minutes. Take the breast meat and a slice of water chestnut and wrap with half a slice of bacon. Broil and enjoy. Bill

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

People tend to over cook game, doves included. They are best just past rare, no matter what the cooking method is. The bacon wrapped, stuffed breasts on the grill are the time honored standard around my neck of the woods. I like that recipe that pheasantmaster posted. I'm gonna try it!

18. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Have any of you that like to eat doves ever tried clay pigeons? You will probably like them. Larry

19. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Tear our the breasts bone and all with your thumb - clean the skin and feathers off when you get home - soak the breasts in salt water in the fridge over nite - marinate in Dale's Seasoning for 1hr. - wrap them in bacon - grill for 11 to 12 minutes total on a hot grill - turn once or twice - serve with wild rice, fresh green beans and cole slaw - lots of sweet tea to wash it all down. That's the way I did it today! Great shooting and great eating - nothing liver tasting here - very mild great flavor.

MLM

20. markc2

markc2 Member

To all you nay sayers that don't like doves: Pack them in a styrofoam cooler, and I will send you my address. When properly prepared on the grill to a juicy medium rare, they are as good as any wild game with feathers.
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dove in freezer

how to store dove meat