1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Hunting Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

Do any of the ammunition companies make a non-toxic 28 gauge shotshell for dove hunting?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

As in $4.79 "Dove & Quail" shells?

Nope. Regular target shells will do a dove in fine, albeit for twice-the-price.

Bob

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

This question is about to take on more importance. There was an article in last Sundays San Antonio Express-News which indicated a potential ban on lead for shooting doves. Studies on effectiveness of non-lead shot on doves are under way. Ron Renouf

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Bismuth makes 25 count shell boxes in 28 and .410, about $35 Jeff

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If you are shooting doves in Indiana this year on state property, you must use non toxic shot.

In the "Rural King" ad in the paper today they have "Remington" Steel dove loads advertized for $7.99 a box in 12 and 20 gauge. No 28 gauge listed.

6. brigade

brigade TS Member

Garry

Are you insinuating the traditional loads are toxic to Doves? Ed

7. philk

philk Member

Bisi, this is what I ran into to. Going Dove shooting with the kids in a IN state area and found out you need to use nontoxic loads. I did find some Kent 12ga 1 1/8 oz steel 7 shot that should work but I need to get some 12 and 20 heavy shot to use in the old Brownings.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Garry, I'm sorry, but I misread the question.

Yes, Pinnacle Ammunition Co. http://www.pinnacleammo.com/ makes some in Bismuth, and RST Ammunition http://www.rstshells.com/ makes 28ga in both pure copper and Nice Shot.

Sales info is on both sites.

Bob

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

Thanks for the info Bob. I will call both places tomorrow.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Have not heard of a 28 ga wad for steel. If you're willing go to 20 ga, you can get some Helarcos from Ballistic Products and load some up yourself.

Joe

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The only way a dove dies from lead poisoning is lead being injected at about 1200 FPS.

Ronbo

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Garry, I've never shot Pinnacle (nor any 28ga from RST), but I shoot a lot of RST bullets and they are all first class, and I like the company, too.

Bob

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I reloaded some .410 with steel, using a traditional 1/2 oz recipe into AA410 wads, weighing in at 1/3 oz. w/@140 pellets of #7. We broke a number of clays from 16 yards with that puny load out of a modified choke... doable but very time intensive...

The Mec Jr..410 drop tube kept jamming up, so I had to deprime/prime all, drop wads, then dipped shot using a Lee dipper, finally crimping all... it was a blast to shoot, but took 10x the time to load than to shoot!

I think I pegged the reloading cost at less than $2/box... not sure how often I want to be doing that! (lol)

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 ga non toxic shells

non toxic dove shells