1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Hunting Season Is Almost Here

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Aug 21, 2013.

1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Dove season is opening in less than a week in several states. If you are going dove hunting, what will you take to shoot, etc.?

Shotgun Brand, Model & Gauge

Shells (load, brand)

Will you use a Mojo Decoy?

Still look forward to dove hunting at 65 years of age.

DoubleAuto

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I think I'll shoot my Twelvette and my reloads.........yes, I'll also use a couple of Mojos!

Ken Rucker

3. bambambam

bambambam Member

Mojo's and a 410,makes it more enjoyable, plus nephew.

4. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

Did'nt go last year, not many doves. Lots of them this year and have got the fever. Have a Browning Model 12 - 20ga in the safe that I tryed to sell but did'nt get any response. It's a dandy dove gun and several boxes of Federal 71/2's that need shooting. I have a couple dozen decoys with clips on them, stick
    them on a fence close by and they work good. I'm ready......

5. 16gun

16gun Member

Parker vhe 20, one mojo and one big yellow lab. We can't wait for the opener. I'm seeing about a hundred birds every evening about 8:00 pm going to roost. Any other ohio bird reports guys? Jerry

6. dshot

dshot Member

!6 ga Parker VHE and Mojo's and some very good friends to laught with and at.

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

M-12 20ga skeet gun & 2 mojos.

8. johnboy

johnboy Member

1913 Ithaca Flues celebrating it's one hundred season with a 1927 Fox for back up. 1 oz. of 7 1/2s reloads for these old guns. (both 12 gauge )

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rem 20 ga 1187. 7.5's reloaded with Universal. Best tasting wild fowl and the most fun to hunt. For 2 weeks in September, our "crew" lives to dove hunt.

10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Down here folks say you "Quail hunt"; you "Dove shoot".

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

First ya gotta find'em then you gotta hit'em!

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

They are not hard to find in a dove field.

13. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I would use my browning 28 gauge. I have never been dove hunting but it looks like a great deal of fun. Im jelous we don't have many in New York nor is it legal. I wanna go with you gents and shoot some. Have not been hunting in years.

Have fun in what ever you choose to shoot them with

14. JPM

JPM Member

I'll shoot a Browning XS 28 ga and my wife will shoot a Beretta AL2 12 ga. I'll be shooting reloads - 3/4 ounce of #8's at 1300 fps and my wife will be shooting Rio 3/4 ounce factory loads at 1375 fps. I'll put out 4 Mojo decoys and will also construct a dove tree. We will be the only ones hunting on 250 acres of land and it's always a guessing game where to set up. This will be our 16th year to open the season at this location and we always laugh about how we should have been set up elsewhere. JPM

15. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

It is my son's and my good fortune to be invited to an annual BBQ, Dove Shoot and corn whisky (only after shooting) event hosted by one of the large corn farmers. The story telling, laughs and general friendship make it a classic southern hunting event. We are very fortunate as we are two of the very few "city boys" invited.

I agonize every year as to what gun to shoot (only shotgun guys would probably understand this, my wife thinks I am nuts)I think this year it will be my son's 1100 that he bought 40 years ago with paper route money. I "traded" him my model 21 for it.

Jim

16. 5141

5141 Member

Doves are abundant , my native sunflower fields are shaping up very well.
    I have also scouted 4 waterholes that will provide several different evening shoots if it remains dry.

Gun of choice for early season is a MX28 SCO 30 inch Teague choked (F&F installed)
    Load of choice is Win AA 3/4 oz.# 8 Target loads at 1200 fps. ( I really don't care for that 1300 fps "sporting clay" load).
    Should be a fun opening, couple of neighbors and a visit from Some Minnesota Yankees who have a ranch North of me....
    I have missed only one Texas opening day since 1957. Don't intend to miss any more for a while.....

17. dshot

dshot Member

Just returned from the farm we are planing to shoot on opening day, as of now nothing has been cut but a large field of Foxtails next to the standing corn is loaded with doves, it's going to be fun.

18. jharryfrey@att.net

jharryfrey@att.net Member

FOR U 28 GA SHOOTERS. U MIGHT NOT KNOW THAT WIN SELLS S 1OZ LOAD FOR THE 28 AND ITS A KILLER HARRY

19. Cody4gold

Cody4gold Active Member

How could all you guys be so excited to shoot those song birds as there defined in my state of Michigan where we cant hunt them, although just about everyother state in the united states gets too and its a great revenue for your states thru license fees and hunting gear and ammo and crop fields being planted for it and its a great time spent with friends and family ,i'm highly jealous of all of you and hope you all have a great season!!!!

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow, and I thought we had some brain dead stupid laws in Illinois.