1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Hunting Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

I don't hunt, but someone asked me what I thought about shooting doves sitting on electric wires. I said I don't know the laws for hunting, but that didn't seem very sporting to me. He said he couldn't hit them when they were flying and could get several at a time that way. He wanted to know how far away from the wire he needed to be so it wouldn't hurt the wire. I told him he had to be kidding and possibly it was against the law. What do you think? Biff

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Not sporting at all, its called wing shooting. I don't know the legalities but its unethical.

Found this

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=3581832

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I think that is what's called a "skillet shot" by the game hogs.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

1 1/4 oz of 9's and a IC choke. One shot and limit out. I know some fellas that couldn't afford to shoot more than twice.

ss

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Definitely illegal in minnesota.

I'm not sure why one would want to do it anyway. The fun part is trying to hit them flying.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Wing shooting is shooting birds on the wing, or flying. Shooting on wires is no different than ground swatting.

7. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

biff,

In Texas it is also against the law to shoot doves on powerlines, telephone lines or any other utility lines. Like one of the other responders stated, it's "wing-shooting", I hate when I follow one and watch it land in a tree, I usually walk toward it til it flies and "hopefully" take it then.

This reminds me a funny story an old golf partner of mine told me a few years ago. One of the elders of his church overheard my friend talking about dove hunting, and saying he didn't have a place to hunt that year. The elder told him to come out to his little place one afternoon and he could hunt there, so my buddy took him up on his offer. When he got there the old man asked him which "blind" he wanted to hunt it. My buddy was wondering; what the heck was he talking about. Well evidentily the old man wasn't much of a shot and actually had some deer-stand type "ground blinds" set-up with wires like a old timey clothes line running away from each shooting window to a pole about 40' away or something like that. The old man says to just sit ther til they "line up pretty good" and take them with one shot. He had a hard time not laughing, but sat there for a while so as to not hurt his feelings. He didn't go back for a 2nd hunt.

Mike* (MH*)

8. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I got to go dove hunting this weekend thought I was a fair trap shooter. Wow was that ever humbling I think I am now a vegetarian. LOL

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

People that shoot at utility lines are not hunters but idiots. Most states prohibit that. The cost of utilities are high enough without somebody blasting lines apart. One of the worst things about this kind of Dove hunting is many American Kestrels are shot, they hunt from power lines, and are about the same size of a Dove. Kestrels are a federally protected Falcon. Wayne

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

This is funny. Here in Texas you see a lot of week-end warriors haulling a couple of flats of ammo out to the dove fields. Most of my buddies (all pretty good trap shooters). usually take one box some times two. shucks guys the limit aint that big. I dont like taking three shots at every bird, you know the old missed that shot then try again followed by a hope this one ought to ruffle your tail feathers and dont fly by here again. what a life. Want doves, just sit down by a stock tank (pond for you northern guys) and wait for the evening fly by. It's a good way to while away a nice evening

Bob

11. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

In Ohio you can shoot them off of a roof, but not the wires.

12. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Biff - I was at a dove shoot out cemetary road one day and there was this 'drunk guy' hunting that owned the farm where we were shooting.
    He emptied his gun on a dove going straight at him and missed it. It landed right behind him on a powerline going to a house or barn (can't rember wich). He reloaded his gun, and shot the dove on the powerline. I guess the shot shorted the line and the line exploded in a bright flash. The dove fell, and the transformer was smoking.

It was pretty neat to see, dumb, but pretty neat to see.
    I guess it was ok, since he owned the land, but probably illegal. Definately unethical.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Don't assume that he can hit them sitting still. The fun of dove hunting is hitting them "on the wing". Limits in CA. are 10 per day, 20 in possession. NOW THE PROBLEM IS WEST NILE VIRUS... HOW LONG DO YOU COOK THEM TO KILL ANY THAT ARE CARRYING WEST NILE VIRUS??? Fred

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

A friend and I used to shoot pigeons at a small farm here in PA where a nice old guy raised pigs. He even helped flush them from the barn once in awhile. We noticed they got in the concrete silo so we started setting up for them and noticed holes in the top of the metal roof. It looked like a colander. He told us hunters in the past had shot at pigeons up inside the silo! In the event you think you've cornered the market on fools, think twice.

Sad part is, the old guy and the farm are long gone, save his modest tractor shed. New houses neatly spread across the fields.

jt

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As far as I know, destruction of power lines is a felony everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dove hunting questions

is it illegal to set a trap for doves

is it ok to shoot doves on telephone lines

shooting doves on telephone wires