1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove hunting? Lot's of doves in S IL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by piddie, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piddie

piddie TS Member

More Dove flying around Sparta than clay targets. Be sporting and use a 20 or 28 guage.

piddie -- for ten

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

28! Season opens here in Ohio Sep. 1 and I can't wait. It's always the first thing that we can LEGALLY shoot at. Dman good on the grill too! Happy hunting to all!

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, what's your grille recipe for doves? My son, nephew and I have a dove safari planned for next Saturday and Monday. I've only ever had them pan-fried or in dove pot pie and it wasn't something that I wanted second helpings of.

Ed

4. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

About 1000 years ago, when I was young, we use to make dove stew. It had dove breasts, rice, and pimentos.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We marinate them and them cook them on a grill. Very important to not over cook. they are wonderfull. It does not take long to cook them this way. Most people overcook their wild game and it always ruins it in my mind.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Called the IL DNR and asked about IL's season... since its not printed yet they can't confirm the season (starts 9/1) that is a joke and no one else to talk to!

Hey, you real "shootists" don't need more than 1/2 oz - shoot a .410!

Jay

7. alpine

alpine TS Member

It opens 9/1 everywhere because is a federal controlled hunt.

8. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Recipe - seperate breast meat at bottom of breast bone by running your index finger in between. This allows meat to cook better, and also gives you a nice pocket to insert a slice of jalapeno. (Really does not make it hot as much as takes out the game taste.) Marinade in Italian dressing several hours, then wrap in bacon and put on a hot grill for about 10-15 minutes, or basically until the bacon is done. (I discard the bacon - some eat it.)

Even my wife and kids like it...

9. spitter

Thanks Alpine!
    Jay Spitz

10. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

spitter

From the Illlinois Digest of Hunting & Trapping Regulations 2007 - 2008

Dove Season:

September 1 - October 21; & November 3 - 11, 2007

You must have talked to some secretary who knows nothing about hunting.

11. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Eat your hearts out. I'm sitting in the Dove hunting capital of the US. Yuma County AZ. We have so many dove that you can save your shells and just use a baseball bat. On the first I'll be at "club lead" a private hunting area owned by Texas Hills Farms and Cactus Seed Company. I will be in cut wheat fields that are bordered by sorghum. There are more dove then you could possibly imagine. The best way to describe it would be to envision the Alfred Hitcock horror movie “The Birds”, the sky is covered with dove. We use 410s and it takes about 10 or 15 min to get a limit depending on how much time it takes to pick up your birds. Total beginners limit out without any problem. But the morning isn’t over when you get your limit. On the south west corner of the hunting area (about 200ac area) is the “camp” a shaded outside bar/kitchen where you’re fed the worlds best toriso and egg breakfast while workers clean and package your birds. Then the trapshooting starts, yes they have a trap range steps from where you ate breakfast. If you need a little rest that’s ok too because they have one large pallappa that has about a dozen hammocks for you to catch a few zzzs. So have fun dove hunting I’m sure I will. BTW, this is a by invitation only hunt!

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Well I don't have nearly as good a deal as CD, But I do have a couple of sunflower fields in Ill to hunt. Last year the group took over 800 birds in four days on just one of the fields.

Jim

13. spitter

Edgar:

I was actually talking with one of the enforcement officer from the Bartlett IL office - IMO, either could really care to be helpful or just dumb as stump - but I thank you for let me know they got 'em printed up!

Jay

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Anybody hunted doves with Central Illinois Outfitters outside of Springfield? Saw a write-up in "The Bird Hunting Report". Just wondering if the report was accurate.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

At my AZ home I have to be careful not to run over the doves in the parking lot.

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

AverageEd; blowin smoke has it right. That is pretty much the standard dove bar-b-que recipe. You can use jalapenos, pimentos, cocktail onions, or whatever your imagination allows. Wrap the breast in bacon, hold it in place with a toothpick and grill it over low heat. (Oak wood or apple wood works good for grilling) When the bacon is cooked, the doves are done. Cold beer, corn on the cob, green salad, and grilled dove. Doesn't get much better! Can't wait.

17. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Ed Wrap them in a slice of bacon,put them in a foil pack with onions,salt,galic,garlic butter and lots of regular butter. Cook slow on grille do not overcook and be ready to pig out!
    Rooferbob

18. flylta

flylta TS Member

Nov. 10th is the first day in florida. can't wait going to the woods for my B-day on the 11th to knock down a few dove.

All yall up north let a few pass through for us down south... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.