1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Hunting In Mexico-Safety

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tjb, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjb

tjb TS Member

I have hunted in mexico for the last 8 years but I am now concerned about safety. We hunt out of Hermosilla.Does anyone have comments. We usually go in January.Thanks

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

After what happened to the jet ski rider at Falcon Lake, I would not hunt anything but Mexicans if I was there.

The minute you cross the border, you are on your own. Recent history is not good.

HM

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I would not risk it either. It's literally a life or death situation now.
    Besides, there are millions of acres of Dove hunting in the good old USA.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Mexico used to be my favorite place but I no longer feel safe there, not anywhere in Mexico

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

When I traveled to Hermosillo on business, the sight of armed trucks pulling inside plant gates and paying the workers under armed guard made an impression on me. That was 9 years ago...and things have only gotten worse.

It's far enough out of the way that you could have a perfectly fine experience there. But then again...it only takes one bad one.

I agree with the above...plenty of good dove shooting in good old USA.

6. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I've done three combo's at Las Palomas De Loma Colorada in the San Fernando Valley since 2005. Haven't been back in the last two years on the recommendation of guides I've known for years.

Head to Argentina! More doves, no violence and not any more expensive even figuring extra airfare. I'm going Feb. 9 with a group of eight. Looks like $4000. to $5000. inclusive depending on how much you want to shoot on the 6 hunts.

Eddie Quire

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

The way they treat our country and the attitude of the El Presidenty towards us I wouldn't willfully give them a bloody peso!!

8. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

The doves would have to be laying Golden Eggs..for me to even attempt my Final Hunting Trip South of the Boarder....Just Not Safe..Even for the Locals..TOO Say Nothing of a Visitor Wealthy enough to Travel....Just to Hunt. Just my 2 cents

9. dogsnhorses

dogsnhorses TS Member

We had our hunt, scheduled to start August 28 this year, canceled by the outfitter for safety reasons. This is a very well known high end ranch and they essentially shut down their operations. Unfrigginbelievable. To the ranch's credit, they gave us a full refund. I would not go if I were you. I used to love going to MX.

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Wow! I'm shocked...honestly. My Dad lives in Kino Bay and last year we flew into Hermisillo and on to Kino Bay 75 miles away. Granted you see armed military personel every where and a road block ever 15 or so miles but not a problem. One hears of the violence but I am told by the locals that there isnt a problem in that area.

11. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

11 mayors have been killed this year across Mexico, as a spooky sense of permanent siege takes hold in the many communities where rival mafias fight for control of local drug sales, marijuana and poppy fields, methamphetamine labs and billion-dollar smuggling routes to the United States.

More than 100 mayors have been threatened, kidnapped, shot at or subjected to extortion in the past two years, according to Ramon Galindo Noriega, a senator and head of a congressional commission that supports municipal governments. The number is actually far higher, Galindo Noriega said, but many go unreported because of fears that a police investigation would only make matters worse.

You have a President that blames America for his inability to control crime in his country, I would not go there.

12. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

F Mexico sorry for being so blunt.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have gone to Mexico every year since 1988 - sometimes more than once a year. I have been EVERYWHERE, driving from the Gulf of Mexico across the entire country to the Pacific. I know Mexico City and Guadalahara like I know my own town. This is the first year I will go elsewhere - or stay at home.

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Argentina is the place to go now - or even then for that matter. I haven't been to Wild Wings for two seasons. But, other members of SCI and DSC have and the reviews are still the best. Hard to beat Cordoba for Doves.

Booking a hunt through SCI is very easy and insures your experience. Last time I just rented a B-391 (actually 2) and saved the concern of traveling with guns. Overall I don't think that I spent any more money thru SCI and I can't wait until the Gkid's get a bit older for my next trip.

Mexico is so far off my travel list, I can't even see it.

Kip

15. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

SYC sporting adventures is another good Argentina outfitter. We book events for them. $2795 + airfare / includes food lodging transfers tips & 1000 shotgun shells. 4 days of shooting plus one travel day each way. NSCA Level III instructor Bill Kempffer will be there to help you with your wingshooting.

Feb.19, 2011 to Feb.24, 2011

Feb.24, 2011 to March 1, 2011

June 19, 2011 to June 24, 2011

June 24, 2011 to June 29, 2011

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I spent some time in southern New Mexico 15 years ago or so, I had a buddy who lived in El Paso, so on the weekends a couple of us would head to El Paso and hang out in Juarez. Juarez was a dangerous place after dark back then, now it is a dangerous place in broad daylight.

Same thing with Matamoras, I won't step foot into that town again... The resorts get shot up and tourists kidnapped with the federalis, military, and local police not stopping it!

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

So sad to read all this. Mexico is cutting it's own throat. Hard to believe that those little brown people that populate that country all turn into good honest hard working family men as soon as the millions cross the border into the U.S. We must get only their best.

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I'd go if I could ride in an armored HUMMER and have twin Ma dueces mounted on top. (And carry my Kimber, my 870 riot, and an assault rifle...I wouldn't be more than 90% disadvantaged.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The only way I would want to see Mexico now, is through a Norden bombsight. LOL

20. cafowler

cafowler Member

Anyone interested in going to Cordoba for a high volume "hunt of a lifetime" should contact me. I can book a 4 day hunt for a very reasonable price, more so than you'd believe right now. Our bad economy means there are some very attractive packages to go to Cordoba now. Very easy to have a great trip for about $3k now vs the old saying "for 50 C's you can have a grand time". Shoot me your e-mail if you'd like some more information or a quote. I'd be happy to talk to and tell you all about the Outfitter.

The volume of doves about 1 1/2 hrs north of the Cordoba airport is simply amazing, estimated at 42 million. The food and white glove service is even better. Hard to believe until you're there and experiencing it.

Let me know if you're interested, the great pricing won't last forever, it is a unique time to book this trip if you've ever dreamed of a high volume trip.

Kirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dove hunting mexico safety
how safe is mexico to dove hunt hermollseo

mexican dove hunting safety

mexico dove hunting danger

safe dove hunting in mexico