1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove hunting Argentina

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Timd3200, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I was wondering if any one has been to argentina hunting doves before. A group of us are starting to make plans to go. Wanting any information that could help make our trip a better experience. Recommendations on a outfitter, airline or anything like that. We hope to make this a trip to remember . Thanks for any help.
    Tim

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I brought an old thread to the top for ya!

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

I've been to Argentina twice. Once for dove and once for Ducks and Geese. We used Luis Sier as our outfitter and were extremely pleased. The shooting both times was GREAT.

Johnpe

4. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

Make sure you get a PAST recoil pad for your shoulder and tape your knuckles, from the first day don't wait till you start to hurt.

5. Garry

Garry Active Member

Just curious, why tape your knuckles?

6. pdq

pdq Member

You tape up your knuckles because the flocks of doves come in so close that you have to bat them away -- hard on the knuckles after you've done it a couple hundred times an hour.

Lots of doves.

Kidding aside, pay close attention to the cost of your ammo when down there. Friends go there and shells are $12/box and they shoot about 800 - 1,000 shells a day. Settling up at the end of the trip can set you back a buck or three.

Pete

7. Lewes

Lewes Member

Booked a trip to Los Chanares through the Detail Co. for my son and I. Plenty of shooting. We rented guns from them. I was shooting a 9 shot 20 gauge Benelli . Each shooter had his own loader. Great time . We had 3 days of shooting . Shells were pricy . But what choice do you have ? Irv

8. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Tim,

Get in touch with Big John Wiles. Website info link above. We have been thinking about going soon as well.

Sue

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I'm setting up a trip for next May at Posta del Norte.

Click the link above. $1500 for three nights.

I'm looking for a few guys to join me.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What else do you anticipate having to pay for or do from the getgo to the time you get home in terms of costs and supplies?

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont take any reccomendations even above people if they havent actually used the person they are talking about- particurally those "putting a group together"

Ask everyone if they used the person

The experience isnt about shooting doves it is about everything- if you go to Cordoba you will shoot doves-- many lodges have world class meals- and wines- If people dont tell you it was the best food and atmosphere they have ever had- or if they arent the type to question about that- go somewhere else and spend a couple of dollars more for that world class experience

A guy I went with (we took wives) summed it up this way. "They couldnt have treated Bill Gates any better than they treated me"

Dont worry about ammo - heck if you want to shoot doves shoot them- you are paying plenty with airfare and customs etc

Think about taking your spouse or significant other and spend some time in BA or in one of the two wine countries

On ammo- think of it this way- you are getting the targets for free

12. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Thanks for all the replies. This will be a once in a life time hunt for me. Our group have this on our bucket list. I farm and the best time for us is the winter time here. I have contacted a couple of places and they all seem great and the reviews are awesome. So it is hard to pick one place over the other. I have a friend that has a friend that I am meeting with tomorrow . He has been 3 times. Hope to learn as much as possible before I give anyone my money. This the beginning of my research. So far it has been informative and fun. I will check out all the information that has been posted. Once again thanks so much.
    Tim

13. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Thanks for all the replies. This will be a once in a life time hunt for me. Our group have this on our bucket list. I farm and the best time for us is the winter time here. I have contacted a couple of places and they all seem great and the reviews are awesome. So it is hard to pick one place over the other. I have a friend that has a friend that I am meeting with tomorrow . He has been 3 times. Hope to learn as much as possible before I give anyone my money. This the beginning of my research. So far it has been informative and fun. I will check out all the information that has been posted. Once again thanks so much.
    Tim

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

If it truly is once in a lifetime for you, I recommend Los Ombues in Entre Rios. It is 5 star everything. I've been numerous times and taken my wife as well. I like to go in February. Spend a couple of days on the front end of the trip seeing the city.

Can be booked through the Esther at The Detail Company.

LosOmbues2-2010-1.jpg

15. cementman

cementman Member

To those that have been there, what is the better option, taking your own gun or renting one?

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It is kind of a hassle to go through BA if you take your own gun but you will survive

If your own gun is a standard automatic there is no reason to take it

However if you plan on shooting an O/U or a custom stocked gun than I would say yes take one--- you will become more familiar with that gun also- a side benefit

Going through Chile you can fly right into cordova- where customs is much much much much less of an issue than in BA

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. BBowen

BBowen Member

I agree with Gene. Sound advice comes from people with experience.I have been to Cordova several times and you can shoot as much as you like. On several occasions, I shot about 100 boxes per day. I am looking at the tally sheet that hangs on my wall as I write this. You just have to have a shell budget and stick with it.I always took 3 Beretta 20 ga. automatics and they never failed. Taking the guns in was never much of a problem if the outfitter knows what he is doing at customs. One thing to keep in mind is to have a loader. Your hands will be bloody from jamming shells into the gun if you try to load yourself. The PAST recoil pad is a good idea. I have always flown into Santiago and then to Cordova. I would also recommend taking some simple gifts for the rural locals. They are very poor and appreciate small gifts. Candy is great for the kids.

It is important to get it right when you go to a third world country!! Do your homework. Last time I was there shells were about $10. One thing that is hard to comprehend unless you have been there is the number of birds. They fly from sun up to dusk in unbelieveable numbers. They will ruin a crop field in a day and the farmers love to see you shoot them.

Bruce Bowen

18. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

We booked thru Detail Company to Las Chanaras, its was excellent trip. Lots of shooting, great lodge.

19. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

If you take your own guns, be sure you have the correct declaration forms before leaving the US...AND make sure they are correctly signed. I ran into a snafu last year upon re-entry where the guy who checked my guns prior to the flight did not sign the form in the correct manner.

ICE wanted to confiscate my guns because of it. I thankfully had packed the original purchase receipts and some gunsmithing receipts proving that I had left the country with them in the first place. After that cluster was addressed, that son of a bitch wanted to take my boots. They weren't even dirty. He just had a hard on for me at that point. By then my guns were locked back up and in hand and I simply walked away telling him I was never on a farm; that I was target shooting in a competition.

My partner left his Argentine gun permit back at the lodge. Upon arriving to the police station in the BA airport, it became 'problematic.' The problem was fixed with a $50 US bill, and 'miraculously' the form was found. Since the gun was a Crown Grade K Gun with three barrels, the fifty was cheap insurance.

I always plan on having "breakfast dinero" handy for the boys of the BAPD.

If you can shoot a stock 20 ga. 391 well, rent the guns. If you have to bring your own, dot your I's and cross your T's. And then bring a little bribe money.

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Not sure why you guys need outfitters to hold your hand. I booked directly with the lodge, Posta del Norte.

It's owned by the same people that own Los Chanares.

I've talked to a few people that have been there, and they enjoyed it.

Check out the video, it doesn't look too bad :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.