1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dove Hunters-Need Choke Opening Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I have two less expensive (under $600) over and under's that are both choked modified and full. One of the O/U's has a chrome lined bore (if that makes a difference). They are about useless to me with these tight chokes for dove hunting. I am going to open one of them up for dove hunting. I generally hunt big fields with a MOJO Dove Decoy set about 20-25 yards away under pre-scouted flyways into and out of the field. I usually don't shoot at anything over 40 yards. I generally use either IC, Lt. MOD or MOD when dove hunting. I want to go with fixed chokes instead of choke tubes. What constrictions would you open these chokes up to for best all around dove shooting under these conditions?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I use Improved Modified and Full in our Beretta 687 trap combos for doves and I occasionally use an 1100 Tournament Trap with a Hastings high-rib trap barrel and a Hastings I/M tube. I'd say you're good to go as is!

Ed

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I would get some post wads from Downrange or some polywad inserts to make spreader reloads for the close shots.
    Won't ruin any resale value and adds to the versatility of your shotgun.

I could send you some samples of both to try out before buying any.

If you are REALLY wanting to open the choke just open the Mod. barrel to I.C or skeet 2.

A I.C. and Full choked Double is a very useful gun for almost anything.

My opinion after years of looking at the south end of a north bound bird dog.

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thru my yrs. of dove hunting I have found 20 and 30 are the best for South Texas and West Texas Dove hunts. Your mileage may vary. I have tried open chokes and have found many missed high birds due to loose chokes. You find this out when you tighten them back up. I shoot I.M and full or mod. and full depending on which gun I take.

Hope this helps,

Roy

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I was in the same boat your in. I had a wore out Ithaca 500 o/u, and i mean wore out.I shoot doves 2or3 days a year. i had the top barrel reamed out to IC and left the bottom Mod.I shoot 1290fps 1oz#8's over sunflowers and wheat.most shots are 25-30yds.works for me.

6. missed some

missed some TS Member

take the gun out and shoot some big steel through it, open it right up. haha, i would shoot as is, would rather have choke and not need it than need it and not have it.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

If you are going to open up one of the guns choose the one that is not chrome lined. It matters to the one that is going to open it up. That chrome is extremely hard and usually costs more to bore it out. My preference on the chokes for my use would be light mod. and improved mod.

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

28ga-mod choke-3/4oz of #9's;works for close & not so close shots

9. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

DA, why on earth would you use something other than a green or autumn brown DA for doves? A dove deserves nothing less than the best bird gun ever made. I.C/MOD or m/m ought to work just fine. I think this year will be either my steel DA with channel ribbed modified or my M11 solid rib full, either one should give my 3yr old a good workout if I do my part.

Andrew

10. DoubleAuto

Andrew:

I will probably throw a Twelvette in the truck when I go after doves. Just want to try something different with one of the O/U's. I am finding that the Mourning Doves are generally flying closer and more erratically and lower when dealing with the MOJO decoy (if they are paying attention to the decoy). But where I hunt in Oklahoma we are getting more and more Whitewings that fly higher. I am looking for a combination of chokes that will deal with the varying shots that I will encounter in the field. Have a good dove season.

DoubleAuto

11. ken a

ken a Member

Sell the gun and get what you think you want. Hard to beat full and modified but then it sounds like you don't have the high flyers.

12. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've done what you are contemplating. Sent my Ithaca/SKB (chrome lined) to Briley and had them open the mod/full to ic/mod. It works like a champ on doves in the sunflower patch. If they are really coming close the 1 oz loads @1290 fps will open up a bit. With heavy trap loads (3 dram, 1 1/8 oz)the modified barrel will take them at 45 yards. Briley does good work, but negotiate the return shipping cost in advance.

I can hardly wait to get after them. Good shooting to you.

13. DoubleAuto

I appreciate all of the comments. The two guns in question are an Ithaca/SKB Model 500 and a Beretta Silver Snipe. I have a bunch of other over and unders in three gauges to use on doves if I want to go the choke tube route. Just trying to resurrect one or two old over and unders into more usable dove guns.

DoubleAuto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.