1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GOT A PAIR, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOT A PAIR

GOT A PAIR TS Member

I am a newer shooter on doubles trying to get to the second bird before it

starts to drop. For a average shooter what is the best for the second shot,

1 1/8 #8 1145, 1 1/8 # 7.5 1145 or 1 1/8 #8, 1200 FPS.

Thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 1/8 #8 at 1200fps. But it ain't going to help you get to the bird before it starts to drop. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

From Frank Little (indirectly through me). Use a light load for the first bird. Use you normal 16 yard load for the second bird. Shoot the first bird and then move to the second bird without seeing what happened on the first shot.

Pat Ireland

4. BAP

BAP TS Member

Pat, To add to Frank Little's advice he told me to hoot the same load on both shots. He recomended lite 8's just like singles and implement the KISS principle. I have since gone to lite 7 1/2's on singles, doubles, and handicap. Bill Parson Jr.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What ever ammo you use, get a lot of it because the way to improve is to shoot a lot of targets. Eventually you will identify where you have wasted motion and how to minimize that non-essential movement. When you get to that point you will also realize that you have plenty of time to get to that second target and there is no need to take a sloppy shot on either bird.

FWIW, I use 1 Oz #8 for both targets and get very satisfying ink spots most of the time. The few lost targets or weak breaks aren't the ammo's fault. Using two different shells is one of those mind games that hurts my game more than helps it. Most of the squads I get on move so fast that getting the right shell in the correct tube makes me feel rushed and that sense of panic continues right through the shots. Not good. Much better to just drop a couple shells in the gun and then focus my mind on smoking the next pair.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- I can think of two reasons why Frank gave you advice that was a little different from the advice he gave me. First, I am sure Frank, as I do, recognized that you are a much better doubles shooter than I am. Another possibility is that Frank may have figured out that you would get confused using a different load for the first and second shots. Why weren't you at the Dixie? Will you be at the Southern Grand or will I have to wait until the Southern Zone in NC to visit with you again?

Pat Ireland

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Excellant advice from the wolf.

Practice, practice and more practice is the way to learning dbls. Having someone that is accomplished in Dbls to watch you and lend advice is also nice.

Shoot more dbls, less singles and more Handicap in practice.

Rick in Mt.

8. DJSims

DJSims Member

One item of advice that I always tell newer doubles shooters is to move your eyes to the second target, but do not follow the gun around as you swing.

Shoot quickly at the first target, but do not admire its break or mourn its loss.

Look for the second target without lifting your head from the stock, but not while following the beads!

The gun will all of a sudden go off, and the target will shatter.

Doug Sims

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have read that the best doubles shooters "trap" the first bird because they know where it is coming from.

Extremely false statement!!!

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

1 oz. loads @ 1200 fps for both shots.

Instead of shooting the 1st target with wild abandon, try "controlled aggression" (quick but accurate), then a smooth quick move to the 2nd target.

Curt

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- Not only do most top shooters never trap a bird, many of them insists on being the squad leader.

Pat Ireland

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Pat. Also trapping the first bird can be dangerous. It should only be attempted when wearing the proper safety equipment. HMB

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Any of the three loads you mentioned will do the job nicely.

John C. Saubak

14. glenns

glenns Member

What does "trapping the first bird" mean and why is it dangerous?

15. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

Frank Little once said, "If you don't miss a first bird every now and then your not shooting it fast enough." So shoot the first one fast and move to the the second one (not slow) and shoot it. Any load is good as long as you can confidently break the target with it, I personally use 3 dram 7 1/2 it seems to give me a little extra confidence/smoke rolling power.

Tony Fortino

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am not a world champion doubles shooter by any means, but my average keeps improving every year. My take on doubles is.....

1. I finally got a gun to shoot the P.O.I. that I wanted

2. I shoot 1 ounce loads on the first shot

3. I make a move on the first target

4. As soon as the gun goes off on first bird, I play a game with myself to see how fast I can get my eyes locked in on second bird. I can never tell you if the first target broke or not. I rely on the scorekeeper for that.

5. Don't sit around and admire your first break, get your eyes moving.

6. I talked with a shooter who took a Frank Little clinic. What is mentioned above is what I was told also. I took it to heart.

17. glenns

glenns Member

If you don't "trap" the first bird how do you shoot it? If you wait to see it and shoot isn't that taking too long to get to the 2nd bird?

WoodsonEnt - what do you mean by "I make a move on the first target?"

I just started to shoot doubles and was taught to trap the first bird. Gives me more time for the 2nd one.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Getting on the second bird faster is not the only advantage to trapping the first bird. It also allows you to set the POI of the second shot to match the flight path of the second bird. HMB

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

glenns,

I set-up my hold point to be a little below where I want to break the target. When I see target emerge, I make a slight move (raise gun barrel maybe 6") and fire. ***Please Note*** I am not a world champion doubles shooter. I should be getting advice and not giving.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why wait for the bird to get into the trap? That is a bunch of wasted time that could have been used to get the gun moving and establish a good target picture.

Start that gun low, you know about where the target is going to come out of the house so be there. When you call for the bird - look for it, don't be thinking of a bunch of fancy 'kung-foo' techniques just look for the target. Get a good target picture and smoke it then look for the second bird and let the gun follow your eyes. Believe it or not you can get to that second target before it peaks - just don't waste any time on useless stuff (like thinking).

You can only see a target where it is. Where you think the target will be at a certain time is guessing game that frequently involves the word lost.