1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

We shoot a winter league at 8 different clubs.Each club has different topography were the slopes and hills form air currents that tends to suck the second target down rather quickly.What do you do when you have to deal with this?
    When I can get the gun there in time I am still just taking the top off of the target as it it falling.Any advice?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Try to make a "U" on the way to the second target. Or at least try to tell yourself to try to do it. Either that or shoot faster (something I can't). It also helps to have a second barrel that shoots flat. Good luck.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Change your shooting order to allow for the conditions. It may be necessary due to weather or background to shoot opposite of the accepted norm. You may have to change up on a single post or for the entire round depending on the cause. At Fairfax this past year on field 4 because of the treeline level all the right handers were having major troubles with their second target from post 4. The ones who did well shot the right hand bird first before it got lost in the treeline/sky junction and then shot the straight away left hand bird. The same may be needed when the wind drives your normal second bird down too fast.

--- Chip King ---

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn how to trap the first bird. This lets you shoot the second bird sooner. The better you get at trapping the first bird allows you to hold lower when the second birn is low. That technique allows you to move to the second bird and be under it. HMB

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

All of the above advice, so far, is laughable.

BB

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shooting a falling target is pretty tricky especially for us trap shooters that normally shoot rising targets. Getting there sooner would be nice and I'm sure you are working on that. More realistic is to alter your target picture a bit and get some more daylight between what you see of the barrel and the target. Might want to shoot some high house skeet targets from station #1 to get use to this dropping gun + daylight target picture. Don't worry it won't make you gay or anything like that.

7. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

assuming it's that right hand target from post 4 and 5 your talking about , shoot it first .

8. EubanksBoys

EubanksBoys TS Member

I shot some targets like that, the easiest change for me is to lower my gun hold and raise my eye hold. I try to shoot the pair faster but still remain smooth.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

poacherjoe, come to Kansas and practice or move here and shoot all the time. Its a necessary trait that you have to develop.

Seriously, the quicker you can overtake with precision the first target the more it will help in acquiring the second. I have no idea of what your style is and as such a recommendation would be foolish. What I will recommend is that you have your POI set up inorder to break either a rising or falling target. Point being, it has to shoot where you look.