1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FNG, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I'm a relatively inexperienced shooter who's stuck in C doubles with a mid 80s average. I don't seem to be able to show any improvement in my scores by trying different things as seen on the Phil Kiner and Kay Ohye tapes. The inconsistency is what's most frustrating. I don't have trouble with the same targets all the time. I shoot a K-32 and am toying with the idea of raising the POI of the bottom barrel (it currently shoots about the same as the top barrel)so that instead of having to cover the first bird before shooting, I can see it coming up under the barrel, shoot and get away to the second bird faster. Any thoughts on this approach are appreciated. Thanks.

2. gslam

gslam TS Member

I like a light gun for doubles, I believe it is even necessary to be good at them. Watch where the first bird comes up by picking out a landmark behind it and wait for it just under the spot you are going to fire. Use an open choke and lots of BB's like IC and 81/2 shot but don't load the them to week. Remember speed kills. I use a load over 1150 but not more than 1200 for first shot 1 1/8 for both shells. Second shot swing over a little low to the second bird and come up under it and out ahead of it at the same time. Lead it but always always always stay under it since it is falling and you don't realize it. Use a hot 8 load for the second shot 1 1/8 at 1280 is perfect. The bird is out there but not a straight away so it will break with 8 shot for sure if it is hot. Use IM for second shot and take your time and aim. There isn't any panic since the bird is spent and not going anywhere by the time you get to it. Get under it a little then come up and just ahead of it from below and fire. The 1st, post you will have to lead it more than the 2nd post and less on the center post then back to a little more on the 4th post and a more on the fifth post since all of them are different concening angle don't forget. It isn't really extremely hard to get good at once you see how it is done. It is like trying to land an airplane the first time until the instructor says "let me show you how one looks". Get that picture in your mind and you are on your way to shooting high score doubles. Remember it is a lot like skeet not trap since they are always coming out the same way every time. Shooting the first bird quickly is the big secret to success. Find the ambush point and wait for it with an open choke. Try to pick post 4 or 5 to shoot from that way you get to see several before it is your turn and you then can have an ambush point picked out and be waiting on the first bird.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

1. Eye exams every 6 months when shooting. New lenses if your prescription changes.

2. Seek the help of a qualified Gunfitter.

3. Go to a Kay or harlan clinic

The above will cost some money but it will be less than the shells your waisting with little improvement.
    Joe