1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOUBLES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Sep 16, 2013.

1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

I am just starting to shoot doubles-I never knew how much fun it could be - and I'm wondering what most use to hold their shells . For singles / handicap I shoot out of leather single box holder . It lets me know how many I've shot at a glance . I'm wondering if I should just buy a 2 box holder or is there a better way . Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .

Soup

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In warm weather, I wear a box holder on each side of my waist but otherwise I wear a shooting vest and try to count 5 pair from each post. I shoot a 1 oz load of 8's for the first bird because less recoil helps to stay in the gun for the 2nd shot.

3. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

I wear 2 single box holders.

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I wear a 2-box holder on my belt with a hull bag (lonesome Charlie)...... Wear the same one for singles, handicap and doubles.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I've tried just about everything, and like Croy, settled on two single leather shell box(s). The ones from Shamrock have loops for extras on each. One of the mesh bags with zipper bottom for the other side takes care of the empties.

best....mike

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

This is what I use. Each compartment will hold a box of shells in the box and probably two boxes if you dump them out of the box. Bill Malcolm

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use a heavy canvas shell pouch by Boyt that will hold two boxes crossways in the same pocket & snap a hull hamper on my belt to hold the empties.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I prefer a vest for shooting doubles. I just like the feel of the shotgun better when I shoot a pair with a vest on. I have tried shell holders and with that much weight on one side, I don't feel comfortable.

One trick I found was to use the same load for both shots (light 8's, 1 1/8oz). The other trick was inspired by shooting doubles with Dan Bonillas. Both he and his brother David use a single box holder on their belt. They set their second box of ammo down behind the 3rd post and toss the empty box/pickup the new box when they get there.

I modified this slightly by tossing the empty box from my vest and transferring the full box to my left pocket when I get there. I just like to load/unload with my left hand. The same could be true just switch pockets if you prefer to load with the other hand.

I am incapable of counting shots during a tournament situation, so I used to dump out one box and set a full opened box either on top or in the other pocket. This way I could still leverage the boxed shells to count my shots, but if you absolutely had to shoot two different shells, you could still do that....and yes I have been accused of over-thinking things:)

9. soup

soup Member

TTT