1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Getting into shooting doubles. Shooting a Gold E with 30" optima barrels. What chokes & 12 ga loads would you recommend for the first & second shot.

Thanx--Phil Berkowitz

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 oz #9s skeet choke first shot, 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2s second shot improved modified choke. HMB

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Skeet to Im. Cylinder 1st shot IM to full second shot. I personally like 1 oz of # 9 @ 1225 1st shot, 1 1/8 oz # 8 @ 1200 second shot, but then I am not a high dbles shooter, only average 92, so take it from there, YMMV. Scott

4. running bear

running bear Member

Shoot 2 3/4, 8's on both shots and you don't have to worry about shells.

Buck

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

What Buck said....

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

X3, lite 8's (1 1/8) for both shots. If windy think about lite 7.5's. Makes it one less thing to think about when loading your gun.

7. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Cylinder/skeet first shot lite mod for second....
    2-3/4 dram 1150 fps 1-1/8 ounce both shots....

Best advice I ever got about Doubles was, have fun and there's two of them and they go that away..

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to be a good doubles shooter you need to figure out how to hit the second bird. Adjust the POI of the second barrel so it makes hitting the second target easy. HMB

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm using IC first shot and light full for 2nd. It makes it simpler to use the same shell for both shots, light 8s.

Shoot the first shot as fast as you can, then take your time going to the 2nd. Be quick but don't hurry! LOL

Only dam thing bad about doubles is it is over to fast. LOL Personally I think we should do away with singles and just shoot 200 doubles a day.

10. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Practice,,,,practice.....practice...........

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Phil, got to the Silver Dollar and purchase a flat or two of the 7/8 oz Low recoil Noble Sport shell that they stock. Any 11/8 second shot will work. Low recoil first shot will allow you to say in the gun for the second shot. Choke is pretty much a what your happy with. I like imp cyl and light full. I have a 3200 that is mod/full. Crushes em. As satated above get the first shot quick as you can, you know where it is each time, and the get to second shot BEFORE it starts to fall. Practice is the key. Jake

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

All of the recipes above will work fine. There is no reason to beat yourself up with heavy loads.

Imp cyl with 7/8 or 1 oz 8.5's

Imp mod with 1-1/8 oz light 8's

Key to good doubles is quick on the first one so you can shoot your second similar to your normal shot.

First, position you feet for the second shot.

As stated, you know where the first bird is going to be; concentrate on every bird shot in front of you and focus on that spot in the background once you mount the gun, open your gaze to see the birds. Soon as you call the first bird should be right in your sight.

If your feet are positioned correct, you can just let your body naturally release right to the second bird. You really don't have to "swing" the gun hard at all.

It will come quick with regular practice. Once they start breaking it's a ton of fun!

92 is a very respectable doubles average, Scott.

13. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I shoot (for trap) Mon the first shot and IM on the second. Both with 1oz#8.

Interestingly, I found my trap doubles improved after shooting a lot of skeet doubles (station 4,5, and 6 with skeet chokes and 7/8oz loads).

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.020" x .030", if you're using the Beretta factory chokes that'd be "Mod" x "IM". For shells I usually use my reloads 1oz #8 @ 1180fps x 1 1/8oz #8 @ 1200fps, these are also my singles x handicap loads, keep it simple. I've also used "light 8's" for both shots and they worked OK but were a third load to have to haul around.

John C. Saubak

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Start at the patterning board!

best...mike

16. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HGFoK1t_M

California Womens Team Capitain 5 years in a row.

Perazzi MX-3 Special

One eyed Shooter

Choked .013 Botom and .023 top, Shoots 2-3/4 Dram 1-1/8 8s for both shots

Sorry for the shakey video... I was having trouble getting on the Second bird
    before she would break it..HA HA.

Saw a camera Crew from the local news station come out one day and Video tape her shooting... the Cameraman was resting the big ass Camera on her shoulder while she shot (so he could get good vids) She never missed a single target that day either.. amazing !! Now If I could just shoot them that way.. I really would live up to my name HA HA!!

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One formula used by many is .020 for first shot and .030 for the second, or there abouts.