1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles & Yardage ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I just started shooting doubles this year and I was wondering a couple of things.

In a lot of shoots doubles prizes are less than 16's and handicap. Why is that?

There are some good doubles shooters out there. Why isn't there yardage for doubles?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Bill

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

It would be to difficult and everyone would complain ... thusly they make it easy to avoid the complaints just like they have done to American Trap ... well that is just my assumption but I will probably be told and proven to be wrong on that.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

As I recall they tried handicap doubles at one time, but it never caught on.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill.....Trophy cost is one of the main reasons for having a lesser trophy for doubles at some shoots. There are fewer shooters paying to shoot doubles, making it harder for a club to justify paying for the same quality trophy that they offer in singles, where more shooters are entered. The more shooters you have in an event, the more money there is generated towards the purchase of the trophies. It's simply a matter of economics......Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Supplementing Dan's perfect answer, the reason there is no yardage is because, like singles, doubles is a game where you shoot within your class (against others of similiar skills) based on your average rather than against the whole field of shooters handicapped by yardage....Bob Dodd

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Doubles is a game that is hard to master. It takes quite a bit of time (and money in shells ) to tweek the game. I assume not as many people are willing to put in the time. It is difficult to find a club around here that will set up a machine for doubles, and few shooters know how to do it. The lack of money in the event also deters shooters. Most people probably struggle with their handicap, and put their practice money toward that? Doubles is probably the most fun of all events.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

There is or was "handicap doubles"!!! But not enough shooters to make it pay for the clubs!!! A direct anwser is,,,,,you can't gain yardage by shooting a differant disipline,,,handicap is completly differant than doubles....

To shoot three 3 events in Arizona with new shells is about 156.00 dollars!!!! The same three events with "re-loads" about 125.00 dollars!!! That is without any options!!!

Singles is a losing game,,,so is doubles,,,about the only way to even "break even" is to be top gun in the handicaps,,,and hit the "lewis purses" on the high end on all three events!!!

I for one would like to see a "16yd singles" event with "handicap birds" instead of any "class"!!!! Example----A class D shooter,,,,he would get 70% of the diferance between his average and a perfect score,,,A class or higher would shoot scratch!!! And a 10.00 "mandatory" purse!!!! That would bring back a bit of interest from shooters!!!! Same with doubles!!! But under no circumstances can any handicap birds be given above 100...........

Many shooters DO NOT shoot singles OR doubles,,,,and the only way to increase participation from the experiance shooters is too at least give a chance to make expenses on the event!!!!

AKA Grammie............

8. Tbonz411

Tbonz411 TS Member

Like Dan said, doubles typically draws half the participation of the other two events. But it seems to me that doubles are gaining more ground.

I shot some of the handicap doubles and I thought they were a hoot, but it isn't surprising that they didn't catch on.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Some people are scared of turning in bad scores. It's an "ego thing" till they look respectable. Thats what "classes" are for. Gotta start somewhere!

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They tried "Handicap Doubles" a few years ago but it didn't catch on.

John C. Saubak

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

likes-to-shoot - Other thaqn grammie, you got the right response. Perhaps 1/2 of the singles shoters shoot doubles. Less income to the club, you are going to get a different trophy.

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

For some reason, the number of shooters who 'play' doubles is much lower than those who shoots 16's or caps. I even know of several shooters who participate in nothing but 16-yard events! It completely befuddles me but that's their own gig.

Anyway, as one who runs events at my club, yes due to the lack of numbers, the trophies/prizes for twins is less than those for caps or 16's.

I would rather shoot twins than 16's personally as I find 16's boring and stupid. Love shooting 'caps but twins is next in line for me.

I think that the reason(s) for shooters who play in all three disciplines is due to the cost of either owning a two-barrel gun or more shells to load or the fact that many clubs throw doubles last each day at local shoots.

Shooting doubles is the most fun you can have with clothes on. (According to Frank Hoppe.)

Tim

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have no means to practice doubles, local club hardly throws doubles. Year to date 3 practice rounds in. I also do not get handicap practice. I have only been able to shoot handicap at marathon events. Although I will be shooting handicap at next 2 events with penalty.

14. jrb

jrb Member

I love shooting doubles...especially if they shoot them after handicaps. That way I can shoot and have fun after probably choking in the handicap.

I enjoy watching the big dogs shoot doubles. I watched Ricky Marshall jr. shoot-off with a gentlemen from Kansas at the Fall Handicap double championship.
    They finally went to the 27 yard line to settle the shoot-off. It was amazing to watch them at 16 yard line with the targets sped up, let alone to watch how good they were from 27. Makes me want handicap doubles for all doubles events. Maybe I'd have a shot every now and then!

I wish we could get more people shooting doubles, but for most that means another gun, more money..and for some...alot more time that they dont have.

Good Shootin!

J. R.

15. BMC

BMC Member

We shot doubles from the 27 yard line today. First time any of us had shot the pairs from the back walkway and man was it FUN. And I was suprised at how easy it was. Don't have to move the gun much. I'd like to see back fence doubles as an event for the big multi-day shoots.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

We occassionaly play a game at several of the clubs around here called "Doubles Buddy Backer". This is basically doubles, shot from the 27 yard line, with the trap set in the #2 hole with the oscillator turned on. Each shooter is allowed 2 shots. Sounds easy enough, but, this is one difficult game, especially when shot under the lights at night..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.