1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

doubles with skeet choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is the general consensus with using a skeet choke for the first shot of doubles?

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

"Skeet choke" is sort of like "trap choke". There is a wide range of actual constrictions available under that label. Then you get into whether the barrel has been back-bored. You have to be pretty quick on the trigger if you want to be consistent with the more open chokes. IMHO Ron

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There was a time, maybe 4 years ago, I tried Imp. Cyl. choke for the first shot and Light Modified for the second using a 28" barrel on a Mod. 32 Kgun. I shot 100 with that combination and 100 with the same gun with 30" barrels and factory Full/Imp. Mod. The two scores were exactly the same, breaks seemed very similar to me, and what I concluded was that when I pointed at the evil clays, they broke......Bob Dodd

4. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

I usually shoot improved cylinder/modified. Tried cylinder (aka open or skeet) for first shot. Broke targets but did not hit them hard enough to suit me. Sure it was a mental thing but I went back to IC for first shot.

But I can still set up cylinder/improved cylinder if I ever put my petticoat on and and try the other thing.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before deciding what choke to use it would be helpful to find out what distance you break the first bird at. I break the first bird at 21 yards and I use a skeet #2 choke which is .008 constriction. At that distance it puts most of the shot in a 30 inch cirle. HMB

6. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Rich219, I have used a skeet choke before and didn't see much difference. I just didn't break the first target as hard. I suppose if your not concerned about smok'en the first target it's fine. I went back to modified.
    Good luck with it if you try.

Mike

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I typically shoot IC/mod for doubles.

Sometimes, especially if its warm out, I'll go skeet / mod for chokes. And I typically shoot an ounce of 9s at the first bird, an ounce of 8s at the second.

But three weeks ago I forgot to change chokes after a round of skeet and shot doubles with skeet / skeet. Still broke 43, and I'm pretty sure the 7 I missed were by and large my fault.

I could see the choke costing me one, or maybe two...but really, I missed most of them all by myself.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I shoot the first bird fairly fast (18-22yards) and have shot everything from Skeet (.005 in my particular gun) to IMod (.026). I prefer the Skeet with 7/8oz 8 1/2s at 1225fps. All of them including the Skeet will leave a black cloud hanging in the air when I do my part.

--- Chip King ---

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I won a bet with a skeet shooter once that said "you couldn't shoot trap doubles with a skeet gun." With his gun I broke a couple of pair using factory heavy "8's" both barrels and to really rub it in, I shot a couple of pair from the 27..I didn't tell him I was using pigeon loads (3 1/4-1 1/4-7 1/2's) from back there and broke four for four with them. Those days are long gone,darnit. Now, I'm lucky if I see them.

Big Jack

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lt. Mod for the 1st shot, Mod for the 2nd.

Smokes 'em!

Curt

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I used Curt's chokes when I shot my 20b for doubles. Now I use my bunker barrels and I don't see any difference, except you have to be a little bit more careful with the first bird if you take it close. I still use 7/8oz for both shots.

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'll have some new chokes (IM/Skeet) that will be here early next week and will try it out. I think I get the first bird pretty close but would like a bit larger pattern for the first bird. We'll see how it works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best chokes for doubles trap

choke for skeet doubles

choke tubes for doubles trap

chokes for double trap

doubles skeet

how to shoot skeet doubles
what chokes to use for skeet
what is doubles skeet