1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with full choke ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Looking at a K-80 with fixed full chokes -- both barrels.

How handicapped would I be trying to use this gun "as is" for double traps ?

Realize that Brileys could be put in the lower barrel if need be.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Very subjective question. If you shoot well, then a full choke will make NO difference. If you shoot so-so, then the full choke will cause some losses over an open choke on that first shot. There is no way to answer or quantify this by anyone else besides you.

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

man o man how did they do it before choke tubes?You don't need choke tubes to shoot a good score, if you think it makes a difference, it may. I don't think it makes a difference, so with me it don't! Just feel the security with the fact that if you are a little slower, the bird will never be out of range. mark crist

4. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Not that I recommend it if you have a choice, but my good friend won the state doubles title shooting an 1100 with a Tom Seitz choke (.035). Many events have been won with an 1100 shooting only a full choke barrel.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

First just because it says full, what does it actually print? Are you sure the atleast the lower barrel hasn't been tampered with?

TO the question. In my younger years I shot a Perazzi with .032 bottom and .051 top. Broke quite a number of 100 (registered) with that gun.

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You could shoot 9's on the first shot and 8's or 7.5 on the second. the 9's will put more lead in the pattern

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can get an adjustable choke reamer and open up the barrels one thousanth of an inch at a time until it is perfect. HMB

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Just talked to the gun seller again.

Had the seller use barrel and choke gauges and measure the constriction.

Things look a little different now.

In the over/under, the bottom barrel mikes 20 points and the top barrel mikes 28. Upon a second look, the barrels are factory marked improved-modified and full.

The unsingle mikes 38.

According to a table on page 190 of "The Gun Digest Book of Trap & Skeet Shooting", 20 is nominal for modified and 30 is nominal for full. Extra-full is nominally 40. Am sure other tables and sources might vary.

Will have to make a purchase decision without seeing or shooting the gun.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

double full choke